PDA

View Full Version : Two hands that I'm not sure about -- comments please

Bigwig
10-25-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm still playing this one, 2nd level, and the net result of these two hands were about +750 chips, so not so bad, but I'm not sure of my play.

Stars $30 STT.

1) 9 handed, 10/20 blinds, 1st hand of tourney
Hero is dealt 99 in SB.
UTG raises to 80
MP1 calls 80
MP2 calls 80
Hero calls 80
BB folds

Flop is 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks
UTG bets 80 (sign of weakness?)
MP1 & MP2 both fold
Hero calls 80

Turn Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks
UTG bets 100
Hero calls 100

River: 7 or something, blank

Hero checks
UTG checks

UTG shows AQ (pair Q's)
Hero shows 99 (pair 9's)
UTG wins pot (700)

Eh, I'm not sure I did much right on this hand. Tell me where I messed up.

2) Blinds 15/30, 8 handed.

Hero is dealt K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif on button.

3 limpers
Hero limps
SB completes
BB checks

All stacks are near the starting level.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets 150
3 folds
MP2 calls 150
Hero calls 150

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets 300
MP2 calls 300
Hero raises to 1030 all-in
SB folds
MP2 folds

Hero wins pot (around 2200)

Do I have any business calling this bet on the flop?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

lastchance
10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
As for 99, I probably raise it back up preflop, fold to a reraise, push on a check. (maybe can put on the brakes with an ace or king)

I don't know if you fold KJo preflop. I really like having position here with lot of limpers, should make calling with speculative hands +EV. Call with KJs, prolly KQo, dunno about KJo.

Bigwig
10-25-2004, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for 99, I probably raise it back up preflop, fold to a reraise, push on a check. (maybe can put on the brakes with an ace or king)

I don't know if you fold KJo preflop. I really like having position here with lot of limpers, should make calling with speculative hands +EV. Call with KJs, prolly KQo, dunno about KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant should I have folded on the flop to the strong bet and one caller with top pair K kicker?

lastchance
10-25-2004, 10:53 PM
I like the call. You've got position, you've got a K kicker which is a lot better than a J kicker...

But maybe this is one of my leaks. When you hit the hand you're trying to call for though and still want to fold it, the preflop call is a lot more questionable than the flop one.

Klak
10-25-2004, 11:18 PM
first hand: bet the damn pot on the flop. you have an overpair. you are almost surely ahead. pot sized bet please.

second hand: yes don't just call, but raise the flop! raise it to 500. you have top pair king kicker! what is bad about this?? this is what you play KJ for!

jcm4ccc
10-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Hand #1: Definitely don't call the flop bet. You're almost certainly ahead now, but any overcard hits and you're going to get scared. Either fold on the flop, or try to win it on the flop (pot-sized bet). I would try to win it.

Hand #2: When the J hits and somebody bets 150, either they have you completely beat (with AJ or 3-of-a-kind), or they are working on a straight draw. Hard to know which one it is. But since two people are in on the pot, it's probable that somebody has you beat (unlikely that two people are working on a draw, with that flop). I would fold.

I think you got lucky when the K hit on the turn. I'll bet you were behind on the flop.

Irieguy
10-28-2004, 04:07 PM
1) I'd call preflop, but your postflop play seems awfully passive. When you are out of position and have a hand, it's important to establish betting impetus if you are going to play. I would only check-call if I'm bluff-busting... otherwise, you are going to see my chips if I'm out of position with a hand.

2) limping with KJ is probably a top 5 way to lose a lot of money. I don't mind your decision to play, but with the preflop action, you probably have the best hand. Raise preflop and take control of the hand. Play this hand with position and betting impetus and you will be in much better shape.

Your play of both these hands seems to reflect a reluctance to lose chips without huge hands early in a SNG. Strassa made a great point in one of his recent posts about not being afraid to extract value just because it's early. These are two good examples. You missed a chance to take a hand on the flop in #1, and in #2 you set the hand up too passively to entice late-round action.

My take anyways, for what it's worth.

Irieguy

MrX
10-28-2004, 04:20 PM
hand 1) Two options I may do: I bet the pot on the flop and fold to a large reraise. Or, I check raise the flop but make the reraise large enough that 2 overs will fold. Depends on my mood and table dynamics on this one.

hand 2) I probably limp here often if the players in the blinds had not shown a propensity to raise preflop. The question you have to ask yourself on the flop is, would those two limpers have raised preflop if they had AJ??

If you have a good enough read that you find it hard to believe that they would not raise AJ preflop, then it makes your decision easy raise their flop bet easy. If you are not sure if they have AJ or not , it makes it a little tougher, but raising the flop is probably the better play IMO. If you are not thrilled enough with this flop to raise the flop bet, then maybe you should have folded the hand preflop.

MrX

TheDrone
10-28-2004, 06:44 PM
(1) 842 rainbow is a great flop for your 99. You are correct that the small flop bet indicates weakness (most of the time), and overcards is a very likely holding given the preflop action. You need to take down the pot now.

(2)I'm OK with the limp here with JKo because it's good enough to see the flop while it's still cheap to do so, but I don't want to build a big pot with it. With the J86 rainbow flop, being up against AJ or QQ+ is unlikely. I think the bettor is behind, and I'm only concerned about the caller holding 88 or 66. Most of the time I think you are ahead here, so I would actually raise the flop to 450. If someone comes over the top I will fold, and if I get a caller I push after the K on the turn.

codewarrior
10-28-2004, 07:06 PM
#1 Fold to the flop bet.

#2 Raise / Fold the flop, then c/r the turn all-in if called on the flop.