PDA

View Full Version : Bottom 2 on a horrible flop, how do you approach?

dauler
10-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed)

MP2 ($79.14)
CO ($23.65)
Button ($26.1)
Hero ($46.25)
BB ($7.07)
UTG ($21.35)
UTG+1 ($15.65)
MP1 ($26.41)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2, MP1 calls $2, CO folds.

Turn: ($8) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB calls $4.57 (All-In), MP1 calls $4.57, Hero folds.

River: ($17.14) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $17.14

I was out of position so I didn't know how much anyone else liked the flop before I had to act, but I assumed that I had the strongest hand at the moment but I was probably up against some strong draws. I was talking about this hand with a friend and had mentioned that I was thinking about going for a big check raise, like hope someone bets 2 dollars and I raise it on up to 8 or so and make the draws pay a harsh price to try to make their hand.

My friend was saying that he'd prefer a small bet on the flop like I made to keep from getting too heavily invested when I may already be very far behind, or so many cards that come on the turn that make me question whether my hand is still good. If a non threatening card comes on the turn I could push hard when it's clear that the odds are in my favor, or I could get out without losing too much of my stack.

Clearly the turn card sucked for me and I was happy that I hadn't gotten too involved in the hand, but would it have been more positive expectation to push the flop harder when I believe that I have the edge? How do you guys play a hand like this on such a draw rich board, and how do you handle scary turn cards(such as an ace, jack, 9, club, king)?