PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Position

HoldingFolding
10-25-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing a Party $100 NL, we're 45 minutes into it.

I raise AKo from the cutoff to 90 and the guy on the button raises to 275. My first instinct is to fold. I think about calling but I hate playing AK out of position. Then I think about pushing. He has over 2K in chips. I think there are more hands he'll play that I have a big edge over than hands that have me in trouble and I decide to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is from a post by David Ross. I really don't understand "I hate playing AK out of position" and why it's so important. Is acting or re-acting so vital to this hand? Can someone explain the position concept to me. Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-25-2004, 09:53 PM
You're playing AK against a reraise. You call. The flop comes 9-5-2 rainbow.

You act first. What's your move?

Now switch positions, and he acts first and checks. Now what's your move?

HoldingFolding
10-26-2004, 01:00 AM
This is why I never get very far in MTTs - I'm really not sure.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think I was still in a position similar to preflop. I'd check.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I'd check, fearing a check raise.

As I stated in the original thread. I'd call the original raise to see if I could flop an AK.

Kurn, son of Mogh please don't abandon me yet. As you may have surmised I'm a weak tight ABC player. It surprises even me, but I have an excellent ITM in PP $10 SnGs. The problem is the cash I make there gets frittered away in pathetic MTT performances.

To summarise, I see what you saying, but in this particular case is it a crucial make & break factor in the hand?

scott1
10-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Late position is always better (unless you have the nuts versus an aggressive player with a good hand).

In the example above, in 2nd position, most players assume the first to act would have bet with a pair either pocket or flopped. Since there was no bet, assume AKo is the best hand (high card ace).

There's a saying in poker that the $$ follows the button around the table - late position is at an advantage to act after seeing what the other player's actions are.

Question for you - do you see many check raises in $10 SnGs?

HoldingFolding
10-26-2004, 02:17 AM
No, but this was an MTT with a significant reraise preflop.

SheridanCat
10-26-2004, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, the player acting last then bets out, as he will do almost all the time. What do you do?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay to take the free card and see if you can hit an ace or king. Also, you could bet out to see if you can discern whether you're ahead or not. If you're reraised, you can safely fold. If you're called, you might assume a big ace, a pair, a good draw, etc. In any event, you're in a much better position acting last with more information.

[ QUOTE ]

As I stated in the original thread. I'd call the original raise to see if I could flop an AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't mention your stack size, and I didn't read David's original post, but if it's not going to pot commit you, then I think a call is fine here. However, you have to be able to lay down AKo if you don't hit and you're pressured post flop.

Apparently David pushed all-in, so he didn't have to worry about these pesky questions.

Regards,

T

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-26-2004, 10:33 PM

If you're not going to defend your money when rags flop, don't call the preflop reraise. BTW, I'd almost never call a reraise with AK in NL. Depending on the player, I'm either putting his feet to the fire right there or folding.

When he checks the flop, you have to test him.

AK is not a hand with which to call preflop reraises in NL. It needs some kind of fold equity. You need to get an idea of how your opponent plays, what he thinks of you, etc.

Remember what Fossilman said. Given his choice of who to stake in a tourney, he'd much rather invest in a maniac than a rock. Rocks rarely make any money in MTTs (and usually waste a lot of time for little cas), maniacs win MTTs (and when they don't, the lose quickly, which is also a good thing).

HoldingFolding
10-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks all. I love this place.