PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Fan in New York during Game 7 of the ALCS

Joe Tall
10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
One of my friends wrote about his experience at Yankee Stadium. Not that this couldn't happen in Boston but he happened to a friend of mine on Thrusday night. Funny thing is, I nearly went down with him that night but I had to stick to my seat where I watched the last 3 wins.
__________________________________________________ ___

Stolen Memories

My first playoff game experience began with high expectations. I knew I was about to have the best time of my life. I was able to buy tickets to Game 7 of the ALCS for $400 an hour before game six. I knew we could do it…. I believed. So my friend Chris and I got the time off from work and drove down to New York from Worcester MA in the early afternoon before game 7. We got all geared up in red, as proud as any two Red Sox fans alive. We had nosebleed seats but we could see the field and there was red all around us, life was good.

We met some excited Sox fans and befriended all of them. I took some great pictures of some real members of the nation and even some Yanks fans having a good time. Game 7 here we go!

By the 5th inning the Yankees fans around us were growing restless, it wasn’t hatred or anger that fed them…. it was fear. Which is the worst of the three. Loose change was being recklessly thrown at us from seats above. Full beers exploded on impact as they hit us, and those around us. It was lame, pathetic even. But given the situation it was easy to endure.

Before the second out of the 5th inning, a large contingent of NYPD men came up the stairs on both sides of our section. We were relieved, not from fear but relieved of annoyance, we thought they coming to eject those tormenting us. I wish the story ended here and ended happy, but it doesn’t. Dozens of Yanks fans started pointing at us trying to get the attention off the culprits who were sending beer missiles our way. The officers up front pointed at us and came down are row, they grabbed 3 of us, My pal Chris, myself, and some Sox fan we’d just met. Several Yanks fans showed me a lot that day by trying to stick up for us in front of the officers……. It didn’t matter. We were cuffed and stuffed and dragged to an outdoor detention facility.

Our ID’s were ran through the system (checking for warrants) and we were forced to stand, cuffed in the shadow of Yankee stadium. We knew nothing, not what we were arrested for, where we were going, or for how long. To make things worse, the boss on the job was a miserable man. He got kicks out of telling us the score was 8-9 Yanks coming back with no outs, Pedro getting shelled. It was 8-1 last we knew. The depth of poor treatment at the hands of these men was endless. Of course the street guys, the men on the beat, knew we were innocent just from the few Yanks fans that stood up for us. But none of it mattered, the officers in charge were Yankees fans, and they hated us.

When they cuffed me, I told the officer who had me in custody that I had just got my arm out of a cast and wasn’t fully healed. He was good about it. But when they loosened my cuffs in the holding pen the boss yelled at the officer and proceeded to recuff me, putting the cuffs on tighter than before and so the chain was on the outside of my wrist. Which twisted my whole arm around causing tremendous pain. I tried to not complain about it, but the pain was obvious. He thought this was funny, and ridiculed me for it. I stayed in that position for an hour. This was the moment I realized that we were behind enemy lines and the wrong words would make this situation more painful. We weren’t in the hands of men dedicated to protecting us, we were in the hands of men looking for an excuse….

Never in my life have I been treated this way. I was kidnapped in Yankee stadium by Yankee fans with badges, put through mild torture and ridicule. Then released right in time to be caught in the middle of 40 thousand angry Yankee fans (not a coincidence) leaving the game early because my team was destroying theirs.

Truth be told, out of all this only one thing bothered me. I wasn’t there! I wasn’t there when Pedro gave it his all but came up short. I wasn’t there when Bellhorn went yard. I wasn’t there when Timlin went lights out. I wasn’t there when thousands of Sox fans drowned out the home team fans and filled Yankee stadium with chants, and I wasn’t there when 40 thousand blue and pinstripe shirts filed out of “The House that Ruth Built” like spoiled brats who didn’t get the toy they wanted at Christmas. Even worse than that, I wasn’t there in the end when it mattered most, down by the field supporting my team, The American League Champion Boston Red Sox.
__________________________________________________ ____

Go Sox!
-Joe Tall

Edge34
10-25-2004, 08:23 PM
It may just be me, but I'd flip if this actually happened. I'm talking getting badge numbers and taking all of my new friends in the Sox nation to whoever would at least hear our story. A waste of time, maybe, but they'd deserve it.

Just another reason for me to hate the Evil Empire. My Twins are out, so Go Sox!

-Edge

Sponger15SB
10-25-2004, 08:26 PM
so what were the arrested for?

blackaces13
10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
As a New Yorker all I can say is that that cannot possibly be true. Are you sure this actually happened? It sounds way too over the top to me. I can't see Yankee fans and cops acting that way just because some guys were rooting for the Sox.

If it did happen its a travesty. I still say that the story taken as a whole, with all the details, sounds absurd.

ThaSaltCracka
10-25-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just another reason for me to hate the Evil Empire.

[/ QUOTE ] as opposed to just disliking those that did it?

All I have to say is that really sucks for your friend, and I would do whatever I could to get that prick cop fired. Completely out of line, and I glad to see that some people stood up for you guys though.

Clarkmeister
10-25-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a New Yorker all I can say is that that cannot possibly be true. Are you sure this actually happened? It sounds way too over the top to me. I can't see Yankee fans and cops acting that way just because some guys were rooting for the Sox.

If it did happen its a travesty. I still say that the story taken as a whole, with all the details, sounds absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only assume you've never dealt with either police or security other than for traffic citations. It sounds entirely believable to me.

TomCollins
10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
In other news, water is wet.
Sky expected to be blue tomorrow.

craig r
10-25-2004, 09:06 PM
If it would have been about how nice the cops were, then i would have thought it was absurd.

blackaces13
10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds entirely believable to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was right about here where that ceased to be the case for me:

[ QUOTE ]
When they cuffed me, I told the officer who had me in custody that I had just got my arm out of a cast and wasn’t fully healed. He was good about it. But when they loosened my cuffs in the holding pen the boss yelled at the officer and proceeded to recuff me, putting the cuffs on tighter than before and so the chain was on the outside of my wrist. Which twisted my whole arm around causing tremendous pain. I tried to not complain about it, but the pain was obvious. He thought this was funny, and ridiculed me for it. I stayed in that position for an hour. This was the moment I realized that we were behind enemy lines and the wrong words would make this situation more painful. We weren’t in the hands of men dedicated to protecting us, we were in the hands of men looking for an excuse….

[/ QUOTE ]

Just seems a bit dramatic to me. If it is true then I guess I'm niave. The fact that a large part of a crowd would be hurling beer at people and that multiple cops knowingly cuffed and arrested the wrong people because they were cheering for the Red Sox is too shameful for me to comprehend.

I sincerely hope that this is either not true or greatly exaggerated.

Slacker13
10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see Yankee fans and cops acting that way just because some guys were rooting for the Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to Florida when the Dolphins play the Jets, the NY fans are absolutely brutal to be around. Fighting, loud and obnoxious, throwing [censored]. People here won't even bring there kids to the games when the Jets are in town.

Sponger15SB
10-25-2004, 09:37 PM
that isn't [censored]. the worst in football is when the raiders play in san diego.

the stadium is filled with like 70% raiders fans because nobody wants to sit with a bunch of drunk, psychotic raiders fans who made the trip down from LA/oakland to see the game.

in fact i almost got into a car accident with some raiders nation people who were going like 95 on the freeway as they tried to pass me on the way down.

andyfox
10-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Your friend should write a letter to the New York Times and send a copy of the mayor's office.

I know New Yorkers are fond of calling themselves the best fans in the world, but, with apologies to any New Yorkers out there (and I'm an ex-New Yorker and a Yankee fan), they come closer to being the worst. The throwing of things onto the field when A-Rod was called out for interference in game 6 was symptomatic.

Joe Tall
10-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Your friend should write a letter to the New York Times and send a copy of the mayor's office.

He has sent the exact to several newspapers (Boston Herald, Worcester T&G, Boston Globe (WTaG & Globe owned by the New York Times)), radio stations in Boston, to Fox Sports and to Major League Baseball. His article has been read on the radio locally and he will be trying to get out the word further this week.

I will suggest the letter to the mayor and New York times.

Go Sox!
-Joe Tall

banditbdl
10-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Isn't this the kind of thing lawyers are for?

Joe Tall
10-25-2004, 10:32 PM
As a New Yorker all I can say is that that cannot possibly be true. Are you sure this actually happened? It sounds way too over the top to me. I can't see Yankee fans and cops acting that way just because some guys were rooting for the Sox

It's true. In fact when he was telling me the story, right at the point of the NYPD coming up to them in the stands, I said, "They came to get you guys out, didn't they?" He looked at me surprised but you when sit in Fenway for 30+ games a year you see this all the time. I've seen more than one Yankee fan kicked out for being a Yankee fan (for the most part).

Let me explain, we have a crowd of Red Sox fans, they are jeering the Yankee fan in anonymity. The Yankee fan continues to cheer for his team, rightfully so. However, the Sox fans won't stop throwing things from behind him. So, security comes up and move the Yankees fan out for the benefit of the overall crowd as trying to find, who is doing what, behind him when there is 100+ to choose from, is impossible.

As for the police actions, that is the travesty.

Go Sox!
-Joe Tall

Joe Tall
10-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Isn't this the kind of thing lawyers are for?

Yes, but my friend is not the law suit type. He just wants the story to be told and as many people to konw. He is considering legal action but without the police names/numbers he has nothing but word. So, it's word he has chosen to get out.

Go Sox!
-Joe Tall

banditbdl
10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
I guess I'd just be pissed as hell if I was your friend, and getting the word out wouldn't really do anything for me. It's not going to change anything, it's not gonna put any of those cops asses on the fire, he'll get some sympathy and nods of the heads, but that might be about it. I know the whole lawsuit thing isn't all that great of a solution either, but it's often the only way you can hit back in a situation like this. I guess I'm just a vindictive sunofabitch.

sfer
10-26-2004, 12:35 AM
New York City cops....they ain't too sma-art.

shemp
10-26-2004, 01:34 AM
I agree with Andy.

and a quick hijack:

[ QUOTE ]
I know New Yorkers are fond of calling themselves the best fans in the world, but, with apologies to any New Yorkers out there (and I'm an ex-New Yorker and a Yankee fan), they come closer to being the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

SF Giant Fan in Candlestick with LA in town has to be up there all time for worst baseball fan. Riot cops in the outfield bleachers from the 3rd inning on, and hardly putting a dent in the mayhem. Thankfully that element isn't at the new park.

jdl22
10-26-2004, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Sky expected to be blue tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should move to the gutter because where I am it's going to be gray like usual.

Toro
10-26-2004, 06:38 AM
The way your friends were treated by the NY fans and the police was deplorable, Joe and what I'm about to say in no way is meant to defend their action.

But, with all due respect to your friends, wearing Red Sox clothing into Yankee Stadium is a very bad idea.

WC64
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The way your friends were treated by the NY fans and the police was deplorable, Joe and what I'm about to say in no way is meant to defend their action.

But, with all due respect to your friends, wearing Red Sox clothing into Yankee Stadium is a very bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with that, they must have big balls lol

astroglide
10-26-2004, 02:41 PM
shame that track didn't make the us release