PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 10-20: A 5th street semi-bluff play

04-10-2002, 04:17 AM
It was the typical Mirage 10-20 game when only one is being spread- too tight with many locals. However, I've been beating this tight game consistently lately with mostly straight forward play. Occasionally, I use my image to throw in a move. This is one of those times.

The third street boards are:

(x,x)2c

(x,x)7h

(x,x)9c

(6h,4h)Jh ME!

(x,x)5s

(x,x)As

(x,x)9d

(x,x)3s

The 2c brings it in for $3. Next player folds. The 9c calls. I call with my three-flush. Next player folds. The As raises. This player is a local who has been complaing a lot lately about losing. Apparently, the cards have been running badly for him over the last six months. Of course, he's also a bad player who couldn't fold pocket Aces when somebody paired their doorcard. Here's an important piece of information which I have noted about him- he ALWAYS raises with the high 3rd street card regardless of postion or how many have limped ahead of him. He often says things like "Well, I'm high so I have to raise".

So, he raised. Only the 9c on my right and myself call. Three players see fourth street.

The fourth street boards are:

(x,x)9c,6d

(6h,4h)Jh,2h ME!

(x,x)As,5c

The As5c bet. The 9c6d folded. I called with my live four-flush.

When I called, I already had my 5th play in mind. I've used this play several times already in heads-up pots with great success.

The fifth street boards are:

(6h,4h)Jh,2h,Ts ME!

(x,x)As,5c,Qd

My opponent bet. I raised. My opponent thought for a couple seconds and folded.

I doubt my opponent had much of anything. He definitely didn't have Aces. Maybe he had a small pair but didn't want to pay the bets to go to the river against me. Even though I couldn't beat his board, I suspect I had the better hand in the sense that I'll make a hand (flush or one pair) that beats his hand more than 50% of the time. It's quite possible he only had Ace-high.

This 5th street semi-bluff play with a four flush intrigues me. Most opponents will put you on a flush draw if you raise on fourth street and can play correctly afterwards. However, raising on fifth street seems to confuse them and make them play incorrectly. They will almost always check to you on 6th street allowing you to either take a free card (they usually check the river too) or you can value bet when you make the flush which they don't think you have.

04-10-2002, 04:29 AM
very good strategy especially if you have a good read on the player like you did. You also had an option of raising on the 4 th street but your idea here was superior as you have won the pot with nothing. You really play very well and in my opinion you should move up because there are no stud games up to 40 80 in vegas that you could not beat keep it up

BIGSTU

04-10-2002, 08:57 AM
1. the call is a good one on third but mostly because of the player. against another player whoi is more likely to have aces you should fold since the pot is shorthanded. but you know this already.

2.the semibluff is a good play, but you are probably better off making it on fourth against a normal player. against this player,who you obviously know well, it is a good play. if you play this hand teh same way when youhave trips,and many players do, then it is even better since now he might think of trips as a possibility.

Pat

04-11-2002, 08:24 AM