PDA

View Full Version : Down with OTB?

Beavis68
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Hit the races (horse) for the first time in years. I used to do pretty well when Longacres was running.

I picked 6 races from Lone Star and Bay Meadows, had 4 firsts and one 3rd. Unfortunately, I only put money on one a 6-1 shot. I wimped out on a 11-1 and a 3-1, as well as an 8/5, but I didnt like the 8/5 well enough to play those odds.

Anyone else play the horses? I have a friend that used to train that taught me how to read the form.

Funny story, the one time we really strongly disagreed on horses in the same race, it ended up a photo-finish between our two. (his won though)

jpg777
10-25-2004, 07:10 PM
I play the horses occasionally. Especially the 6 weeks Saratoga is open, the triple crown, and maybe once a month otherwise.

I'll be handicapping this Saturday, the biggest day in racing: The Breeders' Cup from Lone Star Park.

TripleH68
10-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Beating the races requires extreme discipline, skill and plenty of luck. Downside is that the take is huge. Upside is you can turn $20 into $1,000 very quickly.

Breeder's Cup this Saturday will have huge betting pools. The only horse I feel strongly about right now is Pleasantly Perfect in the classic. He is a man among boys and I would not let the layoff scare you. Horse I would watch the odds on is Midas Eyes. He had a terrible trip last year and may be sitting on a big race this time out.

Word is the European horses may have trouble with the track this year. That angle will be interesting to see. I have heard from several experts that California horses(esp. turf) should have the advantage...

TripleH.

Beavis68
10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
I was never good at the big races, horses coming in from so many different tracks, trainers from all over the world.

Longacres was great because there was a good local pool of riders, owners, and horses. Captain Condo was one of the sure horses I have ever seen, had his best year at age 12! Gaint grey horse - ran until he was 13 or 14.

I can't remember what the take out is, but I thought it was reasonable for the win/place/show bets, like 6% or so.

It is definitely difficult to win consistantly, but the horses are a lot easier and more interesting than the dogs for me, and a day at a track is worth it even if
I don't win.

The OTB sites that have 5-6 races going at once are nice for serious gambling though, I can usually only find 3-4 races on a specific card I am interested in betting.

Anyone read any of Bayers (sp?) books?

jpg777
10-28-2004, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Word is the European horses may have trouble with the track this year. That angle will be interesting to see. I have heard from several experts that California horses(esp. turf) should have the advantage...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rubbish.

That was the word last year at Santa Anita when it was almost 100 degrees, but that didn't stop the Euro horses from sweeping the turf events.

TripleH68
11-01-2004, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rubbish.

That was the word last year at Santa Anita when it was almost 100 degrees, but that didn't stop the Euro horses from sweeping the turf events.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you didn't load up on Powerscourt in the Turf. Just kidding. I hit a nice super in the F&M Turf and hit Zapper in the Classic. What a nice price eh? The pick-3s and pick-4 I played were no good. Hope you did well, TH.