PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 10-20: My "Fear of God" Raise

04-07-2002, 04:18 AM
It won't be necessary to give all the details on this hand. I'm mainly interested in the 3rd street play.

The low card (x,x)3 brings in in for $3 blind. I raise first-voluntarily-in with (Jc,Jd)8d. The next two players fold. An occassionally hyper-aggressive player who plays higher limits reraises me with (x,x)7. The rest fold to the low-card who makes it $30 to go with his (x,x)3

The only card higher than my pocket Jacks was a folded Ace on my immediate left.

I feel like I'm being played with by either the hyper-aggressive player or the low-card or both. I decide to use my "Fear of God" raise. The "Fear of God" raise is simply a matter of body language. Without any flourish or animation, I toss the 4-bet onto the felt and maintain a calm, confident appearance. I'm trying to convey this message: You two don't have a chance in this hand. Fold now.

Those who have played with me usually get very passive when I four-bet and this hand was no exception. I got checked to and bet on every street- even when one of my opponents made and open pair of Tens.

I took a little flack from a couple players for going $40 with Jacks. The low-card 3 rolled his eyes when he saw my hand.

So, how would you have played this hand with pocket Jacks?

04-07-2002, 02:05 PM
I like you agressivness here. Possibly you still have the best hand and if you do not then you should get the info about their hands strengths relatively early and cheaply. The more agressive you are the more they fear you because your game will be unpredictable to them in the furure

bigstu

04-08-2002, 01:45 AM
The last time I pulled a stunt like this, I was against a pair of Aces and rolled-up 8s. Of course, this was $3/6, and I knew I should have folded. I can't imagine limping and then three-betting without something that beats a pair of Jacks handily. I'd give it up on third street against most opponents, especially at this limit. At $50/100, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

04-08-2002, 01:07 PM
"Without any flourish or animation, I toss the 4-bet onto the felt and maintain a calm, confident appearance."

Without being a smartass, this is what I try to do everytime I raise, don't you?

You must have a good read on these players to make this play and wouldn't make it on unknowns. Your 8-up isn't enough of a scare card to make the others fold, and I bet they both called you down to the river. I agree that you may being played by one or the other (but not both). I would have played like a girl and called pocket Jacks, I wouldn't like the 3-bet from the bring in at all.

04-09-2002, 04:59 PM
What do you know about the players to make this kind of 4 bet? I don't think its worth it, most people at 10-20 (in my experience) will have a hand that kills J's w//an 8 kicker and no two flush.

Unless some would 3 bet to get it heads up, w/a marginal hand I think your cap is not to be recommended. You are likely against an higher pair its surprising you got as much respect as you did.