PDA

View Full Version : Are STTs the most mathematical type of game?

Atropos
10-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey folks,
I'm a player that nearly doesnt know any maths at all. I know the odds of hitting my hand, and the concept of pot odds, fine. And I understand standard deviation and stuff, but I just know BruceZ formula for the br and dont understand it at all. However I have been quite succesful in my (short) poker career so far, playing my best in nl 6max games or shorter, and totally sucking in NL Sit&Gos. It seems to me, that shorhanded NL is very much read-dependent, thats why I win there the most, because I got acceptable hand reading skills. Conversely this would mean that Sit&Gos require the most mathematical decisions, since I suck at them /images/graemlins/wink.gif
This now seems totally logic to me, because if you are on the bubble at party, you usually have to push all-in preflop. You can know by your observations, that Player A will call with many hands, and Player B only with good hands, but this alone wont tell you if it's correct to push with for example A7s...
So would you agree that Sit&Gos are very mathematical (in the early levels its different, but the most imporant part seems to be the bubble play) ??
My actual idea is, that my hand reading skills + knowing the math beyond sit&go should account for higher winnings than pure hand reading skills in nl cash game.
Thoughts? Comments? Links to good threads containing mathematical background for sit&go? (search function is soooo slow right now)

eastbay
10-25-2004, 06:30 PM
The shorter the stack vs. blinds, the more mathematical the game becomes, IMO. Since SnGs tend to become short stack poker quickly, yes, I agree with you that they are a very mathematical game.

IMO, the Sklansky-Karlson problem is the gateway to math wisdom in short stack poker. Everything is variations on the principle that allows you to solve that problem.

eastbay

ThorGoT
10-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Sklansky-Karlson? Eastbay, I did a brief source but did not recognize the reference? Can you help? Thanks.

eastbay
10-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Start here.

http://tinyurl.com/47lf3

eastbay