PDA

View Full Version : Pokertracker MSFT Access question

A_PLUS
10-25-2004, 04:40 PM
I am considering purchasing PT. I was wondering if anyone had dug into the underlying data rather than using their interface? I am interested in creating my own stats, and would like to export a hand history to a single row/colum of excel, with each cell representing various stats of a hand.

I realize that this is a scattered post, but anyone with any experience digging into the Access files, any help would be appreciated

Lost Wages
10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
I have opened my database in Access without any problem. If you already know how to use Access you could do whatever you wanted with the data.

Lost Wages

TomCollins
10-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Good luck making anything useful out of it. The DB is huge and poorly designed IMHO.

illunious
10-25-2004, 07:21 PM
I've done a couple utilities in VB and ColdFusion that use the PT .mdb file. If you want the source, to get an idea of how to make some common SQL queries, PM me.

BTW, most of the "lists" in pokertracker can be exported to an excel file. It depends what exactly you're looking for, but it might be possible to do with just a few mouse clicks.

Luv2DriveTT
10-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Of course its huge, how else do you track thousands of hands with every minute detail? As for being poorly designed, I wouldn't say the Access tables are poorly designed, however I can see someone (but I would disagree with) making that statement if it was refering to the PT front end application. Its still the best application in the field, and the future enhancements are worth the investment today.

PS: The PT database used to be in Access 2000 format, but you can now get use it in a format that is write compatable with Access XP or 2003.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

TomCollins
10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
TT, the table is very inefficient and very ugly. I am speaking from a DB design perspective, not frontend type.

I like PT, but the database design is pretty terrible. If you know how to read databases, you can figure out a lot, but its just a poor design.

Luv2DriveTT
10-26-2004, 12:35 AM
I do run of the mill Access work, but I cannot do work ala Illuminus. It was easy to discover what was what, the tables were pretty basic. No complaints from me... you may have greater knowlege about DB design, but as a novice I had no troubles at all.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

illunious
10-26-2004, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TT, the table is very inefficient and very ugly. I am speaking from a DB design perspective, not frontend type.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could definitely benefit from a new DB design & engine.

But.. they have the best right now, as far as parsing and querying data from the poker you play, PT kicks ass.