PDA

View Full Version : Why not go to popular vote instead of electoral college?

Mano
10-25-2004, 03:40 PM
To me, the electoral college seems retarded. It seems that those in the "battleground" states votes count more than those living in other states, and that doesn't seem right to me. I live in a state (Utah) where my vote has never mattered in a presidential election, and it kind of pisses me off. Why don't we change to a popular vote instead of electoral college? The current electoral system seems archaic and flawed, and we have the technology to do a popular vote.

Matty
10-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Ugh

benfranklin
10-25-2004, 03:48 PM
There is a thread about a dozen posts down from here right now that discusses this at length. The topic has been discussed several times before here.

Mano
10-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Sorry, haven't been on in a while (wife had a baby this week, so I've been occupied /images/graemlins/smile.gif ), and didn't read deep enough into the forum.

GWB
10-25-2004, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The current electoral system seems archaic and flawed, and we have the technology to do a popular vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until we have the technology to stop fraudulent voting, your statement is incorrect. We may be able to catch vote manufacturing in one small area (like Broward County year 2000), but under a nationwide recount, the fraud gates would be openned and a fair vote impossible.

andyfox
10-25-2004, 09:33 PM
"the fraud gates would be openned" [sic]

Opened? Who closed them? Fraud has been rampant in our electoral system forever. Ever hear of Landslide Lyndon?

Jimbo
10-25-2004, 10:24 PM
A good reason for not using the popular vote is that the majority of Americans are like cattle. They wish to be fed, bathed and clothed by the government. The EC at least dilutes the liberal votes so a reasonable candidate (see George Bush) has a chance to be elected.

Jimbo

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-25-2004, 10:28 PM
To do so would require a 2/3 majority of both houses of Congress and subsequent ratification by 3/4 of the States.

Never happen.

vulturesrow
10-25-2004, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, haven't been on in a while (wife had a baby this week, so I've been occupied ), and didn't read deep enough into the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations! I have a six week old (plus two older ones) so I can imagine how your sleep is working out these days. God bless.