PDA

View Full Version : A warning to everyone in Indiana/drivers in general

wacki
10-25-2004, 03:35 PM
If you have had a ticket or accident in the last 6 years there is a fair chance that your license is suspended. The BMV is doing an audit of all of their records and suspending anyone that didn't fill out an SR22 for any infraction/accident in the last 6 years. My license is currently suspended because of an accident that I got into 4 years ago. It sucks, I was 2 hours from home and the cop made somebody drive out and pick me up.

Also, the post office doesn't forward BMV documents so make sure your address is correct with the BMV.

wacki
10-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Just a FYI:

In Indiana it's BMV (http://www.in.gov/bmv/) in your area it might be DMV.

SR22 is proof of insurance. Even if the BMV has records of your insurance on file, or records of your insurance company paying the other person in the accident you still need to have an SR22 filled out for each and every accident/infraction. It's rediculous, my Dad is a lawyer and we are thinking about sueing the state.

challenger84
10-25-2004, 04:37 PM
That's strange... In Colorado, you only need a SR 22 if you are a "high risk" driver, i.e. if you get your licensed suspended for points, or if you get a DUI. You don't need them for every accident though.

tripdad
10-25-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's rediculous, my Dad is a lawyer and we are thinking about sueing the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't waste our tax dollars on such nonsense. just fill out the stupid form and be done with it. a much better expenditure of taxpayer dollars is to consider suing(not sueing) whatever school district you attended for not teaching you how to spell words (ridiculous, not rediculous...also, no need to capitalize the word "Dad" (unless he is some sort of deity, i guess)). /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheers!

daryn
10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
It's rediculous, my Dad is a lawyer and we are thinking about sueing the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't waste our tax dollars on such nonsense. just fill out the stupid form and be done with it. a much better expenditure of taxpayer dollars is to consider suing(not sueing) whatever school district you attended for not teaching you how to spell words (ridiculous, not rediculous...also, no need to capitalize the word "Dad" (unless he is some sort of deity, i guess)). /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

haha .. i like this post.

wacki
10-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Well I'm NOT a high risk driver. My insurance lady wasn't all that clear about what was missing, but she did say that alot of people are going through this, including her son. I had to sick my dad on the situation because he is a lawyer and I wasn't getting anywhere in a time efficient manner. I will post more when I have all the details. Still in the process of solving this.

Still the point is the insurance lady told me that the BMV is doing an audit and lots of people are going through this.

WC64
10-25-2004, 05:02 PM
I was just in an accident where someone ran into the back of me. I believe this is the form that you have 10 days to turn in. My insurance agent signed it on the 10th day and sent it in. He told me they were years behind in going through these, but I have since found out that somehow they are caught up now. The guy who hit me should have a suspended license shortly since he didn't have insurance.

wacki
10-25-2004, 05:28 PM
I agree, my spelling is horrible when I type fast. Big deal.

I won't sue to get money, I intend to change the process. That's a big difference. I'm not even sure what went wrong yet to be honest, and neither is my lawyer, or my insurance lady as I've just been told they have records of all of my paperwork. But I'm stuck NE of Indianapolis when I have alot of work to get done in Bloomington (2 hours away). Normally it wouldn't be that big of a deal as I normally only do computer work, but right now I'm doing wet lab research and there are lots of people that are depending on me and I'm dealing with this crap in Indy. And it's more than just filling out a piece of paper. I've been told I have to pay a $200 fine and wait five days to get my license reinstated. I can't wait five days to get back to the lab. With help from a lawyer I might be able to get my license in the morning.

I filled out every piece of paperwork I was told to fill out in the past, and I was never sent any warnings/notifications. Both the insurance company and my lawyer have said I've done nothing wrong and lots of other people are having to deal with this situation as well.

Will post more when I have all of the details. When I heard that this is a statewide screw up I figured I'd post to warn others. Still, would this situation not piss you off?

PhatTBoll
10-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Indiana's BMV system has got to be the most infuriating in the nation. When I was an undergrad, I got a couple ticky-tack speeding tickets (45 in a 30) within a week of each other in upstate NY. A year later, I got a call from my dad saying my IN driver's license had been suspended, and I had to do a defensive driving course to get it reinstated. The process of ordering the stupid tape and getting the results sent back to Indiana took about a month. I never had any notification that I needed to take a course until my license was suspended. I never knew Indiana was even aware of my tickets until my license was suspended. Apparently they just love to suspend licenses without telling people. Clowns.