PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 10-20: Too aggressive with a straight draw?

04-03-2002, 11:53 PM
I was playing in a decent 10-20 game at the Mirage in Las Vegas.

The third street boards are:

(x,x)3c

(x,x)7d

(x,x)8h

(x,x)5s

(x,x)Ac

(x,x)6d

(x,x)6s

(Kd,Tc)Js

The 3c brings it in for $3. The next three players fold. The Ac calls. The 6d calls. The 6s folds. I call.

Then, a "Hold'em situation" occurs. The low-card 3c tries to raise. Of course, it's pointed out to him that he does not have the option to raise.

Four players see fourth street for the bring-in.

The fourth street boards are:

(x,x)3c,8d

(x,x)Ac,2d

(x,x)6d,4s

(Kd,Tc)Js,Qc

Everyone checks to the low-card who bets. The Ac2d raises. This player is a Mirage regular is is capable of both (a) limping first-in with split Aces to trap opponents and (b) raising with a pair and Ace kicker to play the pot heads-up with the second best hand.

The 6d4s folds. I make it 3 bets. I see this raise as both a value raise in a multi-way pot with my big straight draw and as a possible way to get a better hand to fold so that if I make one-pair, it may hold up.

The low-card calls two more bets. Then, the Ac2d makes it four bets while saying something like "Well, I like to gamble". I cap. Both players calls.

The fifth street boards are:

(x,x)3c,8d,5h

(x,x)Ac,2d,3s

(Kd,Tc)Js,Qc,Qh

I bet my open pair of Queens and both players fold.

I was inititally surprised that both players folded to one bet in such a big pot on 5th street. Then, I realized that my fourth street aggressiveness must have made them put me on at least (Q,J)Js,Qc for two pair on fourth street which became an "obvious full-house" on fifth street. In fact the Mirage regular with the Ace door card threw his arms in the air when I hit that Queen on 5th.

04-04-2002, 09:04 AM
1. it is not a value raise if he has two aces since two of your straight cards are dead and none of your pairs wil beat him. this is a bad situation to cap, i think. no one wil llikely fold once they ahve both raised and you are behind with a few dead cards.

2. as it turns out he made a bad fold. one thing that shold be clear is that you should not be looking for tough folds in stud. if he knew all you had was a pair of queens with a partially dead draw he would probably be kicking himself.

Pat

04-04-2002, 01:42 PM
The low-card must have been used to playing in Aruba--in Aruba (at the Holiday Inn, anyway), the bring-in is "live" and the low card may raise after everyone else has called, similar to the blinds in hold 'em.

04-04-2002, 02:39 PM
I'll be interested in what others think but because you were likely not goign to be last to act on 5th street I wouldn't have capped it. But, if I'd been behind the ace I probably would have so that if I catch a scary card I can do what you did or if I don't I can possibly set up a check for the free card and see where the boards are on 6th. It looks to me like aces are trying to think the field that means you need to improve to win beyond just catching a pair and some of your outs are dead.

Question on the bring in, did he bet the bring-in blind and then look at his cards or look and then do this?

04-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Your raise on 4th won you the pot, well played! I think you made a pair of aces fold. Would you have 4 bet, if the ace was the one to make it 3-bets, could you have made it 5 bets in LV?

Did you consider completing the bring-in bet as you were 2nd high with a J after the ace didn't complete?

04-04-2002, 03:14 PM
I believe he bet the $3 bring-in blind.

04-04-2002, 03:19 PM
I double-checked my post to make sure I descibed the hand correctly.

Would you have 4 bet, if the ace was the one to make it 3-bets

Are you misreading the post? The Ace made it 2 bets and then I made it 3 bets (then the Ace made it 4 and I capped at 5). So, what scenario would make it possible for the Ace to make it 3 bets? The betting action would have to be different.

could you have made it 5 bets in LV?

I did make it 5 bets (the Vegas cap) on fourth street.

04-04-2002, 05:49 PM
nm

04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
My gut feeling is that he didn't have split Aces. Instead, I think he had a pair with an Ace kicker and was trying to push me out of the pot. If I'm right, I still had 7 outs to the straight assuming my Queens weren't already the best hand by themselves.

I don't think this guy would have folded Aces for just one bet.