PDA

View Full Version : Paired Flop Strategy

Nfinity
10-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Lets say you hold big pair in a situation where the flop comes up paired.(assume no OC)What is a good betting strategy to test the waters and make sure no one has trips?

edfilan
10-25-2004, 02:22 PM
This question is a little too open ended. Your tactics depend on reads, number of players in pot, chips in pot (preflop raise?), stack sizes, position, rebuy situation, and rank of your pair vs. board pair. Am I forgetting anything? Anyway, a healthy checkraise will usually weed out all but the real deal. A call or reraise here is usually bad news.

CaptObvious
10-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Edfilan--

I agree. Putting someone on a set and folding say TPTK isn't always the easiest thing. It's really a culmination of pre-flop and post-flop analysis. If you have AK, and the flop comes:
Kd-5c-8h.
Putting someone on a set of say fives might make sense if you come out betting on the flop, and you're re-raised, and that person didn't raise pre-flop, or even if they did call a small raise preflop. Would they have really called a raise or stayed in with K5, K8? If they stayed in with KT, they maybe thinking about kicker trouble.
Your best option, obviously, pay attention to your opponent to find out which type of player he is, and then look for tells, and betting patterns.
I'm not sure how much help I was, but, best of luck. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

patrick dicaprio
10-25-2004, 05:58 PM
this is a very general question so you need to flesh out what you are looking for.if i have KK and the flop is j-6-6 i can tell you that i am making a decent bet here probably about the size of the pot. but even this is a good example of how you need more specifics because if i were up against an aggressive player who called a raise i wouldnt put him on a 6 and probably would checkraise.

Pat

wkoch
10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Tough call, I think your info is a little general as some of the others stated. I just had a hand of this type. I had KK and raised 3XBB and had one caller (very big stack) Laggy type player. the flop was 55X (X=lower than K)he bets like 20XBB and I raise then we go all in. He has 5,crap and his trips hold up. Sometimes yahoo just suck out on you.

/images/graemlins/diamond.gifWalt