PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

04-01-2002, 11:09 PM
Loose Aggressive 4-8 table (i.e. people capping third street with AJT off suit and there being five callers)

1) (**) Kh

2) (**) 5s

3) (**) 6h

4) (**) Kd

5) (**) 6d

6) (**) 2c

7 (me)(8cJc) 8h

2 brings in I raise Kh 5s call, 6h folds, Kd raises, 6d 2c fold, the rest of us call.

4th street

1) KhKs

2) 5s9h

4) Kd4d

me) (8cjc)8h8s

Kings bet $8, 95 folds, k4 calls, I raise.

My real question is, should I have raised here? It seems like it gives away too much of my hand. Or would 6.5 big bets in the pot be the right time to try and take it down?

End result was they both called. (Suprised me, but these people guys love to chase, and I think k4 had a four flush, and kk told me he had a three flush). I catch the case 8 on 5th street, and they both fold.

04-01-2002, 11:55 PM
If you don't raise there you don't give the K4 four-flush a chance to make a mistake. And if he simply has to call he is probably getting sufficent pot-odds, not to mention implied odds to chase down a man with three kings, (if that's what he had). The K4 suited's call here makes it look as if that was possible (as opposed to a raise that would have made it look like he had the a pair of kings. He also probably realized you had the trip 8's and knew he couldn't have knocked you out anyway, so raising into the reraise didn't look like a great play for a situation where your simply calling because of the pot odds. Normally this is a successful play (pot odds calls). But not if the pot odds call changes drastically after you call. Your play was correct. Not much deception here.

How's that sound?

04-02-2002, 06:52 AM
Your raise is absolutely correct. As you describe the opposition, there is a good chance, they will call anyway. In a very tough game it might be better to wait until 6th street, but only because of the dead kings (no trips chances).

Your 3rd street call is marginal, but the combination of a sf-kicker and the dead king make the call correct.

JN

JN

04-02-2002, 09:45 AM
i think you should probably have waited until fifth street. against unsophisticated players such as these they will not figure you for trips if you just call on fourth street, or even if they do the K's will certainly bet anyway on fifth, giving you the chance to raise and earn an extra half bet if you hold up. plus you do not want the flush draw to foeld here, since if you fill you want him along the whole way especially if the k's have three kings.

against better players, they will figure you for trips even if you just call so you have to be even more careful, since they wil easily take advantage of you in this situation if they have three K's,and you may end up betting every street and getting raised on sixth with very little chance to win.

pat

04-02-2002, 02:15 PM
The only thing I don't like about your play is your opening with a raise on third street. You've probably got the best, most live hand ... but you still don't want to pay two bets if one of the kings has a hand. I'd limp and call one raise here.

I like your fourth street raise. Kings are (presumed to be) completely dead; you've got the best hand; and these people are going to call you like they've got unlimited minutes and free nationwide long distance.