PDA

View Full Version : How do you find out if a tournament is legal?

ComboProf
10-25-2004, 12:30 PM
I've been invited to play in a tournament
organized by a friends brother inlaw.
It is to be held at some country club,
but I don't know the laws in this city or state.
How do I find out? Is there a web site?

Lottery Larry
10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Safest bet is to check with your local DA or other law enforcement agency

Cleveland Guy
10-25-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure about every state law. But if the organizer isn't taking any fee for it. and It's just buy in = pay out you should have no trouble.

ComboProf
10-26-2004, 07:06 AM
I think the organizer is planning to take a fee. Makes me nervous.
Also checking with the DA, may alert them to the game, and
I don't want to cause trouble.

betgo
10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
If you are not comfortable don't go. It is unlikely the police will raid the country club and arrest everyone.

37offsuit
10-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Tell the DA that you were thinking about organizing your own poker tournament but wanted to check out to see what was legal and what wasn't, who is responsible for what, that sort of thing. Oh, and don't mention the country club /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Potowame
10-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Go have fun, wear your running shoes.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

boedeker
10-26-2004, 11:21 AM
good god. are you actually concerned, with getting in trouble with the law for playing some tournament at a country club? some one has been watching a little too much law and order criminal intent.

ComboProf
10-26-2004, 01:50 PM
I am unfortunately in the position where I cannot afford
the luxury of any illegal activaty.

krazyace5
10-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Usually if their is a fee involved it is to cover food and drinks.

ComboProf
10-27-2004, 12:41 PM
No. I've been told the reason to have it at the country
club is so that we can buy drinks from the club. The reason for
the fee is to recover the organisors expense in buying
the tournament chips and felt etc.

Edge34
10-27-2004, 01:06 PM
So he's going to buy all these chips, then invite enough people to play so he breaks even on the proposition, minus his tourney entry.

You have it at the country club so you can buy drinks from them? That won't get expensive at all...does your friend's brother-in-law own the club or something?

This sounds like a pretty shabby tourney anyways. The other responders are right about the legal parts - check with the authorities without mentioning this tournament, and don't worry too awful much about the police raiding your game. If you don't feel comfortable after all that, just don't go.

-Edge

MrLob
10-28-2004, 01:06 AM
I think your getting a little paranoid. The Cops are not going to come break up a Counrty Club game. If they do certainly no one will get in trouble but the organizer. If you feel uncomfortable stay at home but dont wreck the evening for everyone else.