PDA

View Full Version : $3/6 stud hand

03-30-2002, 07:04 AM
I get the (6cAs)6s. A decent player with a queen showing makes it complete after two have called the bring in, I call the $3 (seen no other sixes or aces), other two players call (with crap). 4 players in the pot.

4th street doesnīt help me, player with queen gets another paint, bets, I fold.

Questions:

1) Was it correct for me to call player with queen on 3rd with my hand in this spot?

2) After I called third, I also should have called 4th, I believe.

03-30-2002, 08:31 AM
1. the call here is OK as long as you realize it is not the play you should normally make here since you have a flush card. you should really only call here to vary your play. If you called because you think it is normally the correct play then that is wrong. Normally you want to raise in this situation. if you did not have a twoflush then a fold is probably the best play, with raising a close second. the reason that a fold is probably the best play with no two flush is that you want a short field with this hand and you are very unlikely to get it. but if the ante is large (and i dont know what it is at 3/6) then raising might be the best play. but calling here is probably wrong.

2. There is absolutely no reason to fold here. If anything you should raise here. even if your opponent has a pair of queens if the other callers continue to call you have an earn. plus you have an overcard. the mere fact that he bet does not warrant a fold, especially since you did not raise on third street. if you raised on third and he reraised and then bet into you maybe then i would be worried. 3/6 is not the place to make tough folds.

Pat

03-30-2002, 04:47 PM
1) Was it correct for me to call player with queen on 3rd with my hand in this spot?

No. Raising looks like the best play.

It can be difficult to grasp why raising is the correct play in this spot since it seems likely that you are up against a pair of Queens. The goal of the raise is to knock everybody else out of the hand and play heads-up with the second best hand when it has a reasonable chance to become the best hand.

With live cards, (6c,As)6s will win more than 40% of the time against (Q,x)Q if each player goes the river (exact % in 7CSFAP). If you play the hand correctly, this hand should be profitable because:

1. The dead money in the pot from the antes and limpers who folded makes the pot size big enough to chase as a slight underdog.

2. You may get checked to on either 4th or 5th street enabling you to take a free card if you want/need to.

3. You can save money by folding before the river if (a) your opponent makes a dangerous open pair, (b) your cards become dead, (3) or some other reason which leads you to believe you are drawing much slimmer than you originally thought.

You make money by reraising with (6c,As)6s because you often win by making two small pair (6s & 4s, for example) when your opponent never improves on his original pair of Queens. However, in a multi-way pot 6s & 4s will rarely win.

This type of raise is tough to get used to.

For the same reasons, you should have raised on fourth street.

03-30-2002, 08:09 PM
1. I would reraise on 3rd to either get it heads up or better define my chances.

2. I would raise on 4th, again to get it heads up. Because of my live A kicker & my pair, Iwould want to go at least to 5th street, and contiue furthe5r if his board does not become scary(. pairing, flush or straight possibilities)

03-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Ok, thanks for your thoughts everyone. I ordered 7CSFAP on Saturday, I think then I donīt have to ask this basic stuff (Iīm a holdīem player, but holdīem games seem to have dried up, so itīs time to learn how to play proper stud).

04-01-2002, 05:16 PM
If the Ace were showing, a raise would definately be in order. With the 6 showing, would you expect the raise to be much better than folding? (on 3rd street). This seems like a close decision to me, depending on how likely you are to get it heads up. Do you agree? (Remember, this is 3/6, so there's a good chance it will remain multi-way). That is, I don't think you would lose much be folding here, assuming the solid player is likely to have queens.

04-02-2002, 06:56 AM
Raise on 4th street to limit the field and to get a free card on 5th street.

JN