PDA

View Full Version : Top set HU aginst a LAG on a scary flop

aces_full
10-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Paradise .10/.25NL 10 handed. Hero has $40 Villain has $30

PF:
Villain raises to .50,Hero is LP with A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and reraises to $2.50. Villain calls $2 and it's heads up going into the flop.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif-rag /images/graemlins/spade.gif-rag /images/graemlins/spade.gif Villain checks, Hero bets $5, villain calls $5.

Turn (pot is approximately $15)9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Villain checks, Hero bets $32.50. Villain calls $22.50 and is all in.

The river is of no consequence.

I'm mostly interested in comments on my turn play. I'm confident in my $5 bet on the flop. I can't remember if anyone called his raise, so that's why I'm not sure of the exact amount, so if anything I may have underbet the pot on the flop by a $1.

On the turn my feeling is that there are a wide range of hands he could have called with, and it is heads up and if he doesn't have the flush, he probably doesn't beleive I have it either. Since he raised PF, he could have TP/TK, maybe he played A-rag and hit two pair. I even thought something like the A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif was very likely-giving him top pair+nut flush redraw. The turn card didn't seem like it helped, and at this point I was simply happy to try and lose him. Since the pot was already a good portion of his stack, I figured it was best to just go for it all. If he's on a draw, it's going to cost him all his money to try again. I really felt I had no choice in betting. This guy's LAG and my biggest fear was that if I checked behind on the turn I was setting myself up to be facing a river bet that I would have a tough time deciding if I want to call. So basically my logic here was to try and snap off any possible river bluff by pushing on the turn.

Results in white below:

<font color="white">
Hero shows [AcAd] for three-of-a-kind aces/
Villain shows [Ks4s] for a flush ace high

Villain wins pot.
</font>

Ghazban
10-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't like the bet on the turn. Up until then, I'd probably play it the same as you. I'd probably check behind on the turn (fearing he might have KQs or something similar) and hope the board pairs on the river. If a 4th spade hit the river, I'd obviously fold to any reasonable bet but I'd probably call a pot-size or smaller bet on the river if it was a blank. With this line, you still lose a fair amount of money but you don't double him up. Furthermore, if he does have the flush but the board pairs on the end, he'll probably pay you off (most LAGs will, in my experience).

I'm interested in what other people have to say on this as its not a situation I'm totally comfortable playing in without a good read on my opponent.

Metabeing
10-25-2004, 01:35 PM
I would make 1/2 -&gt;2/3 pot sized bet on the turn. This does two things, if he reraises, you can safely put him on the flush.

Second, it will let you react to what he does on the river. If another spade hits, I would probably fold to any sizable bet, if he checks, I would most likely check behind him for fear of the c/r that would absolutely put him on the flush.

If he isn't on the flush, I don't see him calling a sizeable pot down on the turn unless he is holding Aany K /images/graemlins/spade.gif .

The only hand that is calling an all in overbet like that is one that already made its flush.

aces_full
10-25-2004, 03:11 PM
I like this line better than checking the turn. I have never played this guy before, but I did spend about two hours sitting at two different tables with him. I checked his PT stats and he's got a VP$IP of about 60% and a PFR of 15.6%. His bet/raise % on the turn and river were also pretty high, indicating to me that this guy truly is LAG, and wouldn't miss an opportunity to make a big bluff. If I check behind on the turn, my read is that he would most likely push on the river regardless of what he holds knowing that I probably have a big hand and I might be caplable of being bluffed off. I have to bet in order to snap off a bluff here. I guess what it boils down to is that if I'm up against a flush and I don't fill in, I'm not getting away from this hand cheaply, but I could get away losing less here. If I bet 2/3 of the pot, which in this case is $10 I'm still showing strength since it is double my flop bet, plus I can still get away if he check-raises the turn or pushes on the river. I could get out of the hand having lost only $17.50 instead of $30.

cornell2005
10-25-2004, 03:55 PM
i bet also. you can justify it for value reasons alone. when you add in the other reasons already been mentioned, its pretty clear.