PDA

View Full Version : Ashlee Simpson chokes on SNL....

whiskeytown
10-25-2004, 09:12 AM
oh [censored] ow....ah holy [censored] ...[censored], [censored]... wow - mother [censored] and then some.

I just saw Ashlee Simpson's whoopsy daisy (http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/25/people.ashlee.simpson.ap/index.html) from SNL - (it was on two news broadcasts almost at once...) - ah holy crap - I can't even watch the video on CNN right now of it

as a real musician (translation...one who sings without lipsyncing and can stay in tune) - this is the most painful and embarassing thing I can see - someone dying on stage - that was [censored] painful in the worst [censored] way that I can't even describe... - she's been building street cred - being the rocker chick - and I know her sis. can sing - but DAMN, girl...

hope she survives it - she sorta dropped the acting career for the singing one - and that sorta put a bullet thru it right there....but maybe it can be explained away by a scratch vocal....ah [censored] ah hell...

couldn't even watch the whole damned newscast - can't bear to watch it at all - how do you watch someone die of embarassment on a live broadcast....holy [censored] and then some. -

more swearing then I've done in a year.....OW

RB

ddollevoet
10-25-2004, 09:34 AM
I heard on the radio that they played the wrong voice track.

She played 2 songs. The first song went ok.

When she came out for her second song, the audio tech accidentally played the voice track from the first song. The band, not knowing what to do, started playing the first song again. Simpson froze and then left the stage.

During closing credits, she hung her band out to dry as the "cause" of the problem.

This was another Milli Vanilli incident.

bwana devil
10-25-2004, 09:45 AM
I've read the news stories on it but haven't seen the video. Does anyeone have a link to the video on a site that doesn't charge? CNN is $5/mth.

elwoodblues
10-25-2004, 09:54 AM
it's linked on drudge right now

bwana devil
10-25-2004, 09:58 AM
cool. thanks. I looked there earlier today and was surprised there was no mention of it.

Joe Tall
10-25-2004, 10:03 AM
What a joke. Just shows you how far the MTV generation has been removed from quality.

Video:
http://www.collegehumor.com/news/ashlee_snl.wmv

Go Sox!
-JT

bwana devil
10-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Ashlee Simpson to Sing Live Again Tonight

yahoo news (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&e=1&u=/ap/people_ashlee_simpson)

Sponger15SB
10-25-2004, 01:06 PM
they forgot to put quotes around the word "live"

ddollevoet
10-25-2004, 01:11 PM
It was live when she first recorded it.

Matt Flynn
10-25-2004, 01:13 PM
am i the only person who doesn't give a crap whether singers lip synch? how can any of them dance as hard as the spears/madonna crowd do and still sing? no way.

plus some of 'em can't sing. vague memories of cindy lauper on the tonight show still haunt my dreams.

matt

Dominic
10-25-2004, 01:32 PM
anyone remember the disastrous Go-Gos appearance on Saturday Night Live? They could barely play their instruments and Belinda Carlisle sounded like a wounded goat.

challenger84
10-25-2004, 05:16 PM
From the Yahoo article:

[ QUOTE ]
"Go away, Ashlee," wrote one on her Web site. "If you wanna be famous for something, choose something you can actually do. Maybe you could get naked for Playboy."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the cut of this guys jib.

ThaSaltCracka
10-25-2004, 05:17 PM
she is an ugly broad though, I mean seriously, she is not her sister. Have you seen that beak?

The Ocho
10-25-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
she is not her sister. Have you seen that beak?

[/ QUOTE ]

Her sister's chin is worse. Travolta-esque.

namknils
10-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm sure you're in the minority, if someone claims to be a great singer and performer and is getting paid millions for it, I would like them to sing for real, not just lip synch to a doctored up studio session.

Also, this is from a Yahoo! article:

[ QUOTE ]
Making the incident all the more embarrassing, Simpson took an emphatic stance against lip-synching when asked about her views on the practice in a recent magazine interview.

"I'm totally against it and offended by it," Simpson told Lucky magazine. "I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me."

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
10-25-2004, 05:33 PM
I don't get it, what did she choke on during the show?

namknils
10-25-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it, what did she choke on during the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out JoeTall's link. She went up and performed her first song "Pieces of Me" and all was well, then she went up to perform her second song and the recording of her voice started singing "Pieces of Me" again, so she looked all confused and then walked off the stage and SNL quick cut to commercial.

The Ocho
10-25-2004, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you're in the minority, if someone claims to be a great singer and performer and is getting paid millions for it, I would like them to sing for real, not just lip synch to a doctored up studio session.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, the only people who are actually fooled into believing that these performers are "for real" are 12 year-old girls. The rest of the human race knows the reality of the situation. As long as the performers are cute and entertaining, I'm willing to put up with the fact that they exist.

Modern pop music is not, as has never been, about good music. It is about entertainment, for better or for worse. Anybody who tries to convince you that it is any different isn't really fooling anybody. Just let them go on their merry way... all the girls will be doing spreads in Playboy/Hustler soon.

For the record, there are many millionaires who are more harmful to your existance and tell bigger lies than Ashlee Simpson. Pick your battles.

ThaSaltCracka
10-25-2004, 06:00 PM
oh, she choked.... I thought maybe she choked on something /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nepa
10-25-2004, 06:58 PM
I watched that SNL and it was a instant classic. I'm pissed that I miss the mess up though. I saw her (I guess lip synic) the first song and thought she sound good.

Best line "Who do you think you are with your fancy ketchup wife"

and Zell Miller wanting to duel Chris Mattews

Blarg
10-25-2004, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from the people I know. They all love whatever someone tells them they're supposed to love -- whatever is advertised most. Boy bands, Janet Jackson, Madonna -- whatever, they'll all geniuses.

The last thing anybody cares about is whether either they can sing, or whether they are believably singing live. I think we can take it for certain that many of them sing little or nothing live.

As some others have pointed out, a lot of the most popular "singing" acts have people doing all sorts of dancing, yet their voice never showing it. Even Olympians don't have the kind of lung power to dance like that and still belt out a song. People enjoy those acts anyway, because of the spectacle onstage. That they are singing isn't even believable in the first place.

whiskeytown
10-26-2004, 12:03 AM
interesting - says she was actually rehearsing live on Thurs. for Sat's show, but she started losing her voice...

brings up an interesting question if it's true. Dad says you have to lipsync...what do you do?

Of course, it's probably bs....but you never know...but one thing is for sure - she admits that she was lipsyncing those two performances - but for sick reasons.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1492993/10252004/simpson_ashlee.jhtml

Boris
10-26-2004, 01:28 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Ashlee Simpson.

Choke.

Gag reflex.

ddollevoet
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
She miraculously got well for Monday night's radio music awards.