PDA

View Full Version : SNG Theory

kurosh
10-25-2004, 07:46 AM
I'm trying to get this down... correct me if I'm wrong. I've been on a downstreak in my SNG play. Trying to reiterate the fundamentals.

In early stages, when the blinds are insignificant, play as if it is a cash game. IE, only premium hands, most pocket pairs for set value if you can get in cheap. I also like to play suited connectors in late positions if it's cheap.

When the blinds become roughly 1/10th of the starting chip stacks (50/100 on stars where I mostly play), stop playing small pocket pairs and suited connectors unless your stack is big enough to get the right odds. I don't do this unless I've doubled up. Keep playing the premium hands tightly. When you're in CO or button and it's folded around to you, mandatory raise to 3x BB with any two to steal blinds. If I'm called and checked to on flop, I bet 1/2 - 2/3 pot regardless of what flops. If I'm called and have nothing, it's check/fold mode.

Later stages: By this time I've either won a few hands and am in awesome shape or been blinded down by lack of hands or missing on the flop.

If I'm in good shape, I'm stealing a lot of blinds with any two with a minraise. If I get played back at, depends on the stack size. Most likely it'll be an all-in from a smaller stack and I'll be getting 2:1 odds so I'll call with most hands. If I'm getting bad pot odds and he's a big stack, I fold.

If I'm in bad shape, I wait for pocket pairs or premiums and push. If none come, I wait until I get blinded down even farther to 5x BB then pick a decent hand and push push push.

HU play: I used to dominate this. Rarely lost heads-up in a SNG. Now I'm losing with significant chip advantages and I don't know why. Advice on HU play would be good.

My normal strategy: Blinds are huge so I usually play extremely aggressively. My philosophy is, if it's good enough to call with, it's good enough to raise with. I raise when I have trash roughly 20% of the time and check/fold PF the rest. On the flop, I bet out 80% of the time if I'm first to act regardless of what hits. If he checks to me, I bet out 100% and respond to what he does based on my read. The problem comes when, I have a decent hand, raise PF, miss the flop, bet out and he goes all-in (most likely because I've been so aggressive the entire time and he's caught on). I usually fold and I'm in terrible shape.

chill888
10-25-2004, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If I'm in good shape, I'm stealing a lot of blinds with any two with a minraise. If I get played back at, depends on the stack size. Most likely it'll be an all-in from a smaller stack and I'll be getting 2:1 odds so I'll call with most hands. If I'm getting bad pot odds and he's a big stack, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only guessing ... but you said your on a bad spell: I think the above is where you may be struggling.

When you have a big stack, sometimes stealing too much can be a mistake ... especially if you are quick to call any all-in reraises because you tell yourself pot odds are good enough.

I treasure a big stack and seek to protect it. Yes, I will steal a lot ... but not too much because i still want my tight image somewhat respected. Also calling all in's too often with crap like Q 10 (unless opponent is really small stacked) is usually a waste of a big stack.

Again I'm only guessing .. but there is a fine line when having a big stack between increased aggression and acting like a drunken sailor.

Sorry if my guess was wrong /images/graemlins/smile.gif gl

captZEEbo1
10-25-2004, 10:13 AM
I think chill hit something good. When I was a bigstack, and I'm on the button and try to steal with A7, get reraised allin, even though I'm getting pretty good pot odds, we aren't doing a cash game, and it might be best to lay down the extra 500-600 chips you'd have to put in on the pot, b/c even though you might be getting odds, you're likely dominated and it wouldn't be worth the call.

pooh74
10-25-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only guessing ... but you said your on a bad spell: I think the above is where you may be struggling.

When you have a big stack, sometimes stealing too much can be a mistake ... especially if you are quick to call any all-in reraises because you tell yourself pot odds are good enough.

I treasure a big stack and seek to protect it. Yes, I will steal a lot ... but not too much because i still want my tight image somewhat respected. Also calling all in's too often with crap like Q 10 (unless opponent is really small stacked) is usually a waste of a big stack.

Again I'm only guessing .. but there is a fine line when having a big stack between increased aggression and acting like a drunken sailor.

Sorry if my guess was wrong /images/graemlins/smile.gif gl

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your guess was right on. I had the same response ready. Image is HUGE at the 200 level and up in an SNG. If youve been a solid rock and start to run dry, this will allow you a lot of leeway to steal and stay above water until the cards start coming again.

I personally take note of every player who seems to be betting out on the flop constantly and purposely attack those players at the right time. (big hand/potential big hand and good flop or good draw). They know that I know that thy've been bad and they fold in humiliation when I show strength after their flop bet. Of course, 1 in 5 times they actually have it and Im the one backing down (or registering for the next one).

But, to reiterate, a big stack is something to be treasured and dont stress about letting it dwindle a little bit. dont call every small stack all-in with Ax...if they are pushing from UTG, think a second that they may NOT have k7o and actually something they dont wish to pass on.

Start tight finish loose is good in general...but ummmm...it depends?

pooh

kurosh
10-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Why is my big stack play wrong? I only raise when I'm in the CO or on the button with any two. My folding equity is HUGE, especially on the bubble. When I'm getting 2-1 pot odds, I usually call if I have a big ace, king, pocket pair or any trash. I DONT call small aces and kings. Why? Because it's only a losing proposition when I'm dominated with a pocket pair or bigger ace/king.

cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
7c 2d 561312 32.78 1143573 66.79 7419 0.43 0.330
Ks Ah 1143573 66.79 561312 32.78 7419 0.43 0.670

I haven't done the math for this (maybe one of you will?) but intuitively the chances of 2-3 random hands dominating 1 random hand compared to the folding equity, times you're getting the right pot odds and times your dominated hand wins make it a winning proposition.

kurosh
10-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Bump. No probability geeks over in the SNG forums?

azalin
10-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Well I wouldnt call my self a probability geek, but I am one to play the players as much as the game. Trying to steal blinds a lot is bad , especially if you do it everytime its folded to you in the various position you mentioned in this thread. When people start to think you are stealing, they will start to call, not to mention the people that have you beat via cards, there are also those players that will out-play you on the flop and afterword. This is what they call a leak, a study flow of chips to the void during the game. Each player has his own style so dont take this is an attack on your style. Personally, I prefer to earn my table image, then once its built, you can out play players on the flop/postflop which will always be more profitable than simple blind stealing. Blind stealing is ok, just gotta learn how much to do it and when to do it. It will always be different depending on who your people to your right are, the mood of the game, etc.