PDA

View Full Version : most shocking showdown. . .

03-22-2002, 05:35 PM
This happened a year ago, but I still think it's funny every now and then. I just sat down at a fairly loose 5-10 table. I had (AA)T, 2 limpers, I raised, a 4 re-raised, bring and limpers folded, I called.

He pairs the 4 and bets 10, I call.

I catch a brick on 5th, he bets, I call.

I catch a brick on 6th, he bets, I call.

His board is 4 4 T 8

I catch an ace on the river. He bets. I raise. He re-raises. I call, looking for the boat. AND THEN, he says, in all seriousness, "Ha ha. I have a bigger straight than you. . . " and he flips over a 8-Q straight. Anyone else?

03-22-2002, 06:03 PM
You didn't give us much detail.

If his starting hand was (Qh,Jh)4h, then his play on every street is reasonable.

03-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Sorry,

It wasn't. After the hand, I popped out of my chair to look at his cards as they unraveled, while three people told me, "He has a straight." There was no three-flush, just, most likely, JQo. Other than third, he did play it fine, and I would have folded to a river bet if I didn't improve, but I just posted it because it was a strange unfolding of a hand.

03-22-2002, 07:03 PM
When he said I have a bigger straight than you, he was serious . . . that's an intangible where you'll just have to believe me.

03-24-2002, 05:31 PM
It's amazing how many ways there are to lose against a paired door card, and how many weird wins you get when you fire through a hand with yours. Such is the nature of the game I guess.

I used to always tell people that I wouldn't make more than pocket change at stud if people didn't insist on playing against my paired door cards.

Dan Z.

03-24-2002, 08:06 PM
i agree that there are a lot of ways to lose against paired doorcards, but would you fold here, after you get re-raised by a 4 and he pairs, or would you not be happy to let him fire away, knowing that he doesn't have 3?

03-24-2002, 09:04 PM
It depends on the player. If you know you are against 2 live pair, how excited are you. What about aces up? Is it not posssible he's got 4A44?

What about 4K44? How about quads?

In the case you mentioned, you were probably right to play on, but it's closer than you think.

Dan Z.