PDA

View Full Version : How to play middle pair

craiga_uk
10-25-2004, 05:54 AM
I've been wondering how all you good players play middle pair.
For example, if you limped in with A5s and the flop came 2 5 8 rainbow, how hard would you bet it?
How about if you had A9 and the flop came 5 9 T?

I often find myself with middle pair after I haven't quite connected with the flop. I tend to fold to any significant action, but I probably should be playing them further.

I realise the above is not a good example as there are no opponents, stack sizes, etc. but I was after some 'basic rules' you guys use for these kind of hands.

Cheers

Craig

kongo_totte
10-25-2004, 06:38 AM
As you say, this hand is very dependant of number of opponents and style of opponents. I usually fold to anything but min.-raise if there are 2 opponents or more, unless I have a good read on raiser, and I feel I can win it without a great hand. Against 3 opponents or more, I rarely call any bet. If I'm in positition I may bet it, if the table is weak and I feel chances are good I won't be check-raised. But, as has been said, this is a hand when read is everything. I rather get out in time, than investing in this type of hand.

GimmeDaWatch
10-25-2004, 09:20 AM
I generally fold to any decent-sized bet, but will bet it against 1 or 2 opponents if its checked to me, hoping to take the pot right there, and assuming Im best unless someone is trying to slowplay. That a real generalization, as obviously other aspects of the hand have to be considered, but thats generally how I play it.

Metabeing
10-25-2004, 11:18 AM
I'd call a min-raise with nobody behind me. I would probably fold to any bet if there was anyone behind me. If it was checked to me with nobody behind me I would bet, not too hard, but above min-raise--ready to fold to a c/r.

willie24
10-25-2004, 12:27 PM
i may semi-bluff in late position if everyone else is weak.
otherwise i play it as a drawing hand. if i think trips or 2 pair is likely to win, i consider my pot odds when deciding whether or not to call. of course in general, the bet to me must be fairly weak to warrant a call.

Tilt
10-25-2004, 01:47 PM
I think its generally a bad idea to bet this unless you are heads up. You are rarely going to be able to back up your bet on later rounds.

If its checked around at a weak-tight table I will sometimes make a decent bet and hope to take it down. It depends on the table alot - at some tight passive tables you get a lot of players checking their best hands, and you would not do it there. Nor at an aggressive table where someone will call and bluff you off the river with any scary board.

If I do bet and get called I would shut down unless it improves big time.

Zag
10-25-2004, 04:30 PM
You could decide never to put any money behind middle pair and you would not be giving up much expectation over perfect play of it.

Hmmmm, that wasn't very clear. Let me try again.

I will bet that, in the hands of an expert, flopping middle pair with ace kicker is a profitable situation, but I'll also bet that it isn't VERY profitable, in the long run. If you did nothing but check and fold with it, I don't think you are giving up much long term profit over what Doyle Brunson could make with it.

That said, there are certainly places where the action is clear, and you should be able to squeeze something out of it.

Definitely, if there is a decent-sized bet and a call or raise to you, just dump it. Sure, they might be over-aggressive idiots, but even idiots get a hand now and then. The caller has just declared that he either has a draw he is happy with or he is confidant he can beat a bluff. If he can beat a bluff, it is likely he can beat you, too.

If everyone checks to you in late position AND there are draws available, it is probably worth a bet to see if you can take it right there. If there are no draws available, I don't see much point in betting. After all, who is going to call you if there are no draws? Just somebody with top pair but his kicker wasn't worth betting with, that's who. You should make the same sized bet that you would make in the same situation if you held the draw yourself. Then, if the draw gets there and they check to you again, bet again as if your first bet was a semi-bluff. Dump it to a raise or check-raise at any point.

Finally, against people who bluff way too much, you can make a profit by playing wounded wing. This also has the advantage that the good people at the table will peg you as a calling station and won't bluff at you.

nightlyraver
10-25-2004, 04:58 PM
The correct answer - though there really is no hardened rule - is very dependant on your oposition, the pre-flop action and what comes on the flop.

Some examples:

You raised from early position w/ KK and the flop comes A72. You essentially have middle pair and should probably bet this and fold to a raise. If you just check it, hands like JJ,TT,etc. will just take it away from you. However, it is obvious that someone who called a raise and then raises this type of flop has an A with a good kicker UNLESS they play very well post-flop and are putting you to the test with a holding like QQ (note that this is rare).

Next, say that you called a raise with AQs from MP and the flop comes KQ4. Granted that AK,AA,KK,KQs and QQ have you dominated - and these are all possibilities from an EP raiser - you are doing very well against J's or lower. Bet this and fold to a check-raise, which would be typical if your oponent holds those hands which dominate you.

Next, say an EP limps, MP min. raises and you call on the button w/ something like T9s. If the flop comes J94 you may be in great shape and are probably ahead unless the EP has AJ (he would probably have bet in this spot) or someone is slowplaying a set or overpair.

Against typical players, you can usually tell who is on a draw and who is not. If they are on draws, your middle pair may be good and you can profit if they call bets that they should'nt.

What I'm basically getting at is to look at the board and ask yourself what the possible holdings of your opponents could be. This is difficult in an unraised pot, so you should probably only bet it when in position and all have checked. However, I have picked up many decent pots by doing this - say you flop middle pair and the board has no high cards but there are either str8 or flush posibilities. You should bet a little regardless of position and see what happens. Top pair will REALLY want to raise you and you can usually safely fold. But people on draws will just call. That's ok, you're gonna make your play on the turn. If 4th street is a blank, bet the pot and force the people on draws to fold. If they don't and the river is still blank, you should check the river and maybe even induce a bluff from people who will bluff on their missed draws. You do really need to know your opposition for this play to work and keep in mind that you are throwing out your flop bet when the turn is a flush card. However, you do get good pot odds. Example: 4 players see the flop for .50 ($2 on the flop) and you bet .50 with middle pair and get 2 callers ($3.50 on the turn). If you pick it up on the turn everytime that the callers miss their draw, you are still getting 7:1 on your flop bet. Even discounting times you get raised, you're still probably getting 4:1.

jt1
10-25-2004, 05:16 PM
I always bet the size of the pot and if anyone calls then check fold a raggity turn. To me it doesn't make sense to check it, and let LP with nothing take it down with a healthy bet. If any experienced NL player is sure that this is way out of line then pleze let me know.

gergery
10-25-2004, 07:02 PM
The best rule that I use all the time here is ….“It depends”. I find that covers all situations, and I pretty much never go wrong with it.

Seriously, there are too many factors involved to give much good advice on this. Some general thoughts, with the basic idea that your hand is weak and you generally want them to fold:

 the tighter your image, the better
 the fewer the opponents you’re up against, the better
 the looser your opponents are preflop the better, the tighter postflop the better
 the less coordinated the board (str/flush draws) the better
 if they’ve acted first and checked, the better
 the scarier the board to your opponent, the better

--Greg

ddubois
10-25-2004, 10:05 PM
I play middle pair like I play a gutshot draw.