PDA

View Full Version : $50 SNG

AlainW
10-25-2004, 05:40 AM
I'd like to get your thoughts on the following hand from a $50 SNG. It was the third hand of the game so no real reads.

I'm dealt KQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in cutoff position with no callers and I raise 4xBB. Only one caller in SB.

Flop comes Q79 rainbow. I bett 5XBB. He goes all in.

What should I do?

captZEEbo1
10-25-2004, 10:27 AM
assuming you have no reads on this guy at all, you might have to lay this down, just b/c it's too early in the tournament. You aren't too pot committed. It seems like he doesn't have you beat, he MIGHT have a hand like JT, and wants you to fold, but taht would only put you had a 2:1 favorite. It's like, if you had AK, and someone turned over their cards T9s, and went allin, you still shouldn't call with AK in the first hand of the game. There's likely a better spot to get money from.

It's pretty hard to put him on two pair (why would he call the raise with that) or a set (really goofily played). He might have AQ, and there's a slim chance he has AA or KK.

AlainW
10-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Well, I did call and the guy had KK. First, I thought he would show me 79 if anything. I was really surprised.

DownLow
10-25-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to get your thoughts on the following hand from a $50 SNG. It was the third hand of the game so no real reads.

I'm dealt KQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in cutoff position with no callers and I raise 4xBB. Only one caller in SB.

Flop comes Q79 rainbow. I bett 5XBB. He goes all in.

What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I did call and the guy had KK. First, I thought he would show me 79 if anything. I was really surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why were you surprised? This guy cold-called a 4x BB bet out of position. You thought he might show 79, who cold-calls a large raise with 79 even with the blind overlay?

You didn't really say in your post, but I assume he check-pushed you since you are in position. If I am check-pushed in this manner it screams set or overpair at me. Yes, there are the occasional maniacs that will pull this play but with no reads I certainly would not assume that is the case. You only have TPGK. There are several hands out there that beat you and this player has shown extreme strength. I think this is a clear laydown.

Mez
10-25-2004, 04:11 PM
fold every time and twice on Sunday

Mez
10-25-2004, 04:16 PM
I replied to your post without reading other replies, but I think DownLow really has it nailed. You must fold this hand as your up against a set or overcards, less likely you're outkicked by AQ and drawing slim. Either way, you have no read that this player is maniac enough to pull this type of move with a draw or even no hand. Clear fold. Or fold & show.

DonkeyKong
10-25-2004, 04:36 PM
3 hands in? please proceed straight to muck.

tigerite
10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
First you raised too much, it should have been around 2.5xBB. This way Mr. KK may well figure this isn't enough in the pot and re-raise you, then you can muck it. If he doesn't, then on the pot, you shouldn't bet so much on a rainbow - where's the threat? Instead, bet around half the pot, then when he re-raises you (as he surely will) you're not committed, you haven't risked too many chips, and can bin it. Which I would.