PDA

View Full Version : hand 2

stripsqueez
10-25-2004, 02:54 AM
$200+$15 NL SNG on empire i get JdJh in the cutoff - 2 limpers to me so i raise to T45 - dissappointingly both blinds and both limpers call

flop is 7c 5c 4s - the SB bets T225 and its folded to me - i call

turn is 3h and its checked through

river is 2s and its checked through

how did i do ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

durron597
10-25-2004, 03:49 AM
Raise more preflop. The SB has to call 35 to win 15 + 15 + 45 + 15 or 90, so he's getting almost 3:1. All subsequent callers are doing even better.

Either limp behind and play set-fold unless you really think it's safe, or raise big to weed out the trash that might have hit that board.

stripsqueez
10-25-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Either limp behind and play set-fold unless you really think it's safe, or raise big to weed out the trash that might have hit that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that is how i usually formulate my pre-flop plan - however if i raised to say T100 i reckon its likely at least one of the limpers will play - thats just how these games are - so i struggle to grab the $$ thats in there pre-flop but i dont want more limpers - raising to T45 was an ugly attempt to scare off the button and blinds that didnt work - playing like a nancy on hand 2 cant be all bad

what about the post flop ? - the whole hand stinks of compromise to me

Gramps
10-25-2004, 04:32 AM
Preflop, I'd probably raise it up a bit more, I only want one or two callers with this hand, and the loose limpers might call up to 70 or 80 even at the 200 level.

Postflop, I think you have to commit right there on the flop. If the SB is behind, by just calling you're giving him (a) a shot at winning the pot right there, and (b) a chance to outdraw you on the Turn for free if he's unsucessful in winning it on the flop (if you call instead of charging him extra to see the next card).

That pot-sized bet smells kind of fishy...a C/R by the SB with 4 players to act would be more likely for a made hand (or a small bet to try and induce a raise)...but at the same time you're not much of a favorite against a lot of drawing hands (e.g. flush draw + overcard) and no club redraw against a smaller flush draw...

...the old push or fold. If I have any notes on SB being an early crazy, I push (he may just have top pair, etc.). If not, no shame in being a little weak tight. Plenty of chips and plenty of time to go. Even if you are a slight favorite against a hand that's behind, power to SB for taking a stab.

stripsqueez
10-25-2004, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That pot-sized bet smells kind of fishy...a C/R by the SB with 4 players to act would be more likely for a made hand (or a small bet to try and induce a raise)...but at the same time you're not much of a favorite against a lot of drawing hands (e.g. flush draw + overcard) and no club redraw against a smaller flush draw...

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm thinking the same thing - he either has a 6 or a flush draw - its tattooed on his forehead - given that and given that he will probably call a push with such a hand is my choice a bad thing ? (i might of pushed on the turn except one of his possible draws came home)

Gramps
10-25-2004, 05:09 PM
It's tough to push on this if you don't have a read on SB being loose/reckless, because against a lot of drawing hands a "normal" player would have here, it's pretty much a coinflip. If you have some folding equity, that makes it a better play, but if SB will call ...maybe not the best spot to get the chips in given that you'll have around 950 chips still at the 10/15 level if you fold (and a skill level edge on your competition).

I don't think pushing is that bad a play, I just think you'll have better spots to get your chips in. JhJd vs. some drawing hands on this board...

vs. Qc Tc = 53% to 45%
vs. Ah 6h = 57% to 41%
vs. Ac 8c = 44% to 55%
vs. 7h 6h = 53% to 45%
Etc.

If I know this player could call with a very wide range of hands PF and bet this amount into me with TPGK, or an OESD/flush draw with no overcard (which would require a loose call PF from SB), then I'd take the plunge...but most players wouldn't play that way, and only make this play with a good draw, or maybe even a hand like two pair or Ac 6c that you're a sizable underdog against.

SB did make a pot-sized bet into 4 players including the PFR. I'll give some credit to an unknown until further notice.