PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Heads-UP hand...

03-16-2002, 05:19 AM
1-5 game at the 'Woods' yesterday. Standard game with 50 cent ante. Good mix of opponents.. a couple decnt players, a couple of fish, one really large Tuna and one oppponent who I started to notice was an exceptionally good player for 1-5. This good player was on my immediate right.

I am forced low with 6c( 6dAd). All fold to good player on my immediate right with 7s showing and he instantly raises to $6.

Action to me and I re-raise to $11 to defend possible steal. He thinks for a while and calls.

4th..

ME

4d6c(6dAd)

OPPONENT

As7s(XX)

HE checks I bet $5.. He raises to $10. I call.

FIFTH.

ME

Ac4d6c(6dAd)

OPPONENT

6hAs7s(XX)

Opponent bets $5.. I raise to $10. He calls.

6th

ME

KdAc4d6c(6dAd)

OPPONENT

2s6hAs7s(XX)

Unfortunately this was not the card I wanted to see him get, but I bet out anyway, but I only bet $3 and of course he raised to $8 and (of course) I called.

River.. I catch the lovely Qd... giving me a AKQ flush. I pull one of my 'stupid acting' $3 bets on the river and he raised to $8. I re-raised to $13 and he called.

My flush was good. He had the flush also but could not beat AK high. ( He started with 6-7-8 of spades )

Comments welcomed?

Later,

CJ

03-17-2002, 12:18 AM
he checkraised you with a draw? that is strong play (but not necessarily good play) for 1-5.

Pat

03-17-2002, 06:11 AM
taking down the pot!

(1) U knew what U had on the river

(2) By not betting the max,U knew what your opponet thought U had(2 pair)--so he raised

(3) U then knew what your opponent thought that U thought that he had(when U re-raised )--U put him on a smaller flush

Hmmm---Looks like "3rd level" thinking to me.

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

Ps I like to play with players who think only on "level one"(LOL)!

03-17-2002, 01:59 PM
I think you played it well except for the last two streets.

On sixth, you shouldn't bet just $3 unless you are prepared to reraise. I'm reading between the lines a little, but it sounds to me like you were scared of the flush. The betting so far is not really indicative of a flush, but if you think there's a good chance your opponent has it you should just check-call and try to outdraw him. Otherwise you should just bet $5. The problem with betting only $3 is that with about $62 in the pot (allowing for rake), you're just about giving a free card - your opponent is getting almost 22-1 odds to call! A $5 bet may not seem like a big improvement, but it cuts the pot odds down to a little more than 13-1.

Then because he raised on sixth, you should check on seventh even though you improved. The reason is that he will certainly bet again and very probably call if you check-raise, but there's no guarantee that he will raise if you bet out, because your bet is basically saying, "I heard you raise on sixth, but my hand improved on the river." You got lucky here because he didn't figure it out, but most players would slow down when you make your rather obvious $3 bet on seventh.

TRLS

03-18-2002, 12:46 AM
I agree with you that I should have bet the max at 6th street, even into a possible raise as I have an easy call.

I believe in this instance however,given the fact that this opponent hadn't had the opportunity to see me play yet, I was better off acting like a stupid fish and trying to get three bets rather than going for a check-raise.

Thanks for the response,

CJ

03-18-2002, 06:59 PM
I agree with your play here a lot more than I do his. the raise of 678 suited on 3rd makes perfect sense, and I totally endorse your re-raise(especially against a tricky player). The check-raise with the 4-flush seems a little too clever. Does he know you well enough to think you'll read him for Aces or better and lay down a solid hand? If so maybe it wasn't so bad(now if he makes a pair on board you really need to slow down). personally I would've bet out in his place on 4th, especially since you hit what really looks like a blank. obvious raise on 5th, if he re-raises can you let go? Think you should. I'm not sure about either $3 bet, on the river I think he might have raised a $5 bet too(depends on whether he knows you), and if you're confident in your read(where did you get the idea that he was on a flush? until his betting on 6th it's a hard hand to put the guy on) you should probably check/call 6th. nh.