PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Pair + Overcard

srt19170
10-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Button is a maniac playing 80% of the hands, and UTG is almost as bad, so I decided to be (overly?)-aggressive. I was hoping to keep BB (a more reasonable player) out of the hand but failed.

Flop: (8 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

I hit bottom pair but I figure I'm behind at this point. I have 5 outs, so I have the odds to call.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Again I have 5 outs, so I call assuming (incorrectly, as it turns out) that BB and UTG would call as well. Is this an "easy" fold? I'm behind to any K or J, but the only bettor is Button and he's so wild he could easily be on Ax.

River: (8 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

I'm calling here mainly because I'm getting 9:1 and figure that I might well be winning 10% of the pots at this point. (cf. Ed Miller's advice) Or am I better off just abandoning ship?

-- Scott

Cardzy
10-24-2004, 09:40 PM
If BB had any tendencies to raise a lot preflop I would fold preflop, but if I thought he would just check of course I would call preflop (not raise, the 2 limpers are bound to have limped with at least a high card).

On the flop I would have checked and if it was checked to button and button bet I would have raised the flop to knock out bb and utg if they didnt hit which is possible considering no betting. Also when a round is checked to the button the button tends to take the lead whether he hit or not, so he could have absolutely nothing.

Depending on the outcome of my flop raise I make my decision to stay in from there. So I would have played this very differently and can't comment on the turn and river as I may be very aggressive or not even be in the hand at those points.

nyc999
10-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Fold pre-flop. Past that I would check-fold the flop.

SlantNGo
10-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Fold pre-flop. On the flop, if you don't think it will be raised behind you, you have odds to see the turn. Fold the turn unimproved.