PDA

View Full Version : Stud Hand

03-15-2002, 02:43 AM
Played 10-20 at the Taj last night and did pretty well. I thought I misplayed one hand at the end of my session though. The game I was playing in seemed pretty loose overall. I think some of the players must have came from a higher limit game since three of the guys at the table had 6 racks in front of them. Either that or they really cleaned out the people before me. Here's the hand:

Duece of clubs brings it in on my immediate right. I raise with split Queens and an Ace kicker (all cards live). All fold around to a player who's style I couldn't really gague yet, who calls with the 3h. No 3's out in sight, 1 of that suit out.

On 4th st. he pairs his doorcard and I catch a 7. He checks, I bet $20, he calls.

5th street boards: (Q A) Q 7 9 (Me)

(X X) 3h 3s 9d (Opponent)

Same thing. I bet and he calls. Maybee he started with a 3-flush and is sticking around hoping to make two small pair which might win it. Although

I'm thinking two pair now. I figure here's where I would have been check raised if he had a third trey.

6th street boards: (Q A) Q 7 9 6 (Me)

(X X) 3h 3s 9d 8s (opponent)

He checks and I check? Here's my first mistake I think. Why should I have checked? My thinking at the time was " ok he probably has two pair and it will take an act of god for me to improve on the river with my luck so why not check." Now I'm thinking I should have bet though.

On the river god came through and brought me an Ace making me Aces and Queens. My opponent bets and I call? My second mistake. I think I should have definitely raised. Checking on 6th street was like telling my opponent I hadn't improved

on my queens yet. And his 7th st. bet was most likely two pair trying to get an unimproved big pair to call, knowing that chances are better than not he didn't. (I thought this was a good bet by my opponent since I would have called with just queens) But the point here is I should have raised and should have bet on 6th street. Does anyone think otherwise? Comments on hand appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

03-15-2002, 04:05 AM
I think you played the hand fine. No reason to raise the river unless you think he will call with a WORSE hand.

Checking on sixth was fine also.

Later,

CJ

03-15-2002, 05:42 AM
your win.

I'm curious to know (1)what was your opponent's pocket pair? (2) Was he one of the 3 players with the 6 racks??

Curious******

Sitting Bull

03-15-2002, 12:42 PM
I have trouble putting your opponent on two pair when he check-calls on fourth instead of making the double bet. He had an opportunity to pick up the pot right there and didn't take it. Same if he had trip threes. These aren't hands he should be slowplaying vs a probable big pair, and most 10-20 players wouldn't.

I think it's more likely he either started with a flush hand and made two pair on fifth street, or has an ace or even ace-king in the hole and is hoping to pair one up. He can't see any aces yet, so if this is the case he would be thinking he has a good draw vs queens.

For these reasons I think checking on sixth is a mistake. I think you're the favorite here and shouldn't be giving up free cards. Furthermore, if you bet here and it goes check to you again on the river, you have an automatic bet even if you don't improve, since you have to try to get a weak two pair to fold when the pot is this big.

If you bet on 6th it's unlikely he'll take a shot at you on 7th so the issue of the raise is irrelevant, but in the scenario you gave, you should just call. He may have made trips or a full house on the river.

TRLS

03-15-2002, 05:16 PM
I assume he has two pair. I don't think you played it wrong. On sixth street you were behind, so taking the free card is decent. Your call on the river is ok, too; because a raise would probably lead him to fold or, if he had trips, to reraise. Two pair is generally a calling hand on the river.

03-15-2002, 07:01 PM
Thanks to all for the input:

Sitting Bull. You wanted to know what my opponents pocket pair was. He said that he started with pocket tens when I asked him after the hand was over. Now why he didn't raise me on 4th (which if he did I would have folded) I don't know. Like Linda said he had a chance to pick up the pot and didn't take it. And yes, he was one of the players with the 6 racks in front of him. All three that had that much $ were playing very loose, so it seemed. Like I said I'm almost sure they had to have came from a bigger game. I guess the limit that they were playing at now ($10-$20) just didn't seem like anything to them from the way they were throwing chips around.

Mike