PDA

View Full Version : What to play during a bad streak

03-14-2002, 02:08 AM
I have recently had a horror period at stud games, whether they are straight high or eight or better. Massive hands have been beaten over and over by longshot runner runners, and my own draws no matter how good they are, never seem to eventuate.

I know stud is a bit of a roller coaster ride, and I have reached dizzy heights in the past, but lately i don't know what to do. I think this is partially due to playing in particularly loose games.

What do other stud players do in this situation? Keep playing stud or swap games temporarily?

I am considering moving back to holdem only for a period to recover, as the bad beats are far less frequent, and generally it is easier to put players on hands accurately.

03-14-2002, 04:12 AM

03-14-2002, 06:31 AM
than 30BB in two consecutive sessions,I take a few days off--about 2 or 3--maybe a week.

Then when I return,I feel much better.

I don't believe one can continue to play well if he does not take a few days off when he is on a several session losing streak.

Sitting Bull

03-14-2002, 08:29 AM
30? Try about 150. Been a few small wins, in there but its only my holdem game thats stopped me from losing 250 big bets in the last week and a half.

03-14-2002, 11:09 AM
> I think this is partially due to playing in particularly loose games.

Rebuilding confidence and riding out the rough times is a lot easier if you can find tight games to sit in. Couple this with re-assessing your 3rd street starting hand selection.

When I start to suffer through swings like those you describe, I often find that I'm playing hands like medium-pair, no kicker, then make a live two pair on fourth, and end up playing against two or three loosie goosies who resist my attempts to drive them out by raising, and then they draw out on me when I don't fill up.

Tightening up starting hands considerably and finding tighter players to play against usually stops the bleeding for me. Before long, I'm back in action.

Doc

03-14-2002, 11:24 AM
play a little tighter and switch where you are playing. it isnt always clear why you are losing and its foolish to lose too much in one spot unless you have a death wish.

03-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Damn, Ray & Mr Pete, why didn't you post this before I dropped 60 BB last night by sitting tight while all my hands came tumbling down and lay, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, at my feet.

I tend to do the change-game thing. Rejogs my brain a bit.

Time for some flopsy games.

03-14-2002, 02:04 PM
(1) YMMV but I've found that if I can't beat my best game (stud) I only do worse at other games. So I would advise against switching unless either the game is so good that you can beat it with rote play, or you think maybe the reason you're losing is because you're bored and need a change of scenery.

(2) Make sure you're taking the long-term view. I've found that if I measure success or failure in less than 100-hour intervals, I'm seeing mainly random noise rather than a clear trend.

(3) Always have a winning, confident attitude when you play. I've found that when I start getting that "I just can't win" feeling, my concentration and decision-making fall apart. It's hard to make the right play when you become convinced that nothing you do matters.

(4) Try taking a couple days off from poker.

TRLS

03-14-2002, 04:32 PM
I get angry and depressed. I lose all confidence. I start to question my play, and then begin to question whether the game is beatable at all. I watch my bankroll disipate. I post disconcerting posts on this forum.

What I should do it change games, practice on my computer program, discuss the hands with friends and on this forum (which is actually what my disconcerting posts are all about), go back to reading my books, and brush up on odds and stragegy.

Part of my current problem is that I'm trying to move up, and I've just started playing hold-em. So I do move between the two games when running bad.

03-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I've bought it back playing holdem by 70 big bets in 2 days, but don't expect to see me at the stud tables for a while.

03-15-2002, 05:29 AM
keep playing hold'em for a while--

Hold'em doesn't seem to require as much concentration as stud;hence,you can play more hours per session.

Please correct if I'm wrong!

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull