PDA

View Full Version : The 'Turn' Card??

03-13-2002, 07:30 AM
Sitting in the 10-20 stud game at my local card room. Player in the 2 seat raises his door ace and says "I know I'll pair it up on the turn." 4th street is dealt and he catches an ace. "See?!" he says. I say "That's not the turn card. 5th street is the turn". He says "No, that's a misconception. The 4th card is the turn, not when the bet changes." I don't want to prolong this, so I just say "Sure. Whatever you say."

Is he right? What's the turn card?

03-13-2002, 10:58 AM
I believe that your opponent has the terminology right. I never use the term in stud myself. In Super/System, Doyle frequently uses "turn" to refer to what is commonly referred to as the "flop" in hold'em. I think that "turn" is kind of a generic term that has come to have a specific meaning in certain contexts. The term "set" means three-of-a-kind*, but in flop games, it is understood to mean specifically that you hold a pair in your hand with the trip card on the board. There is no such distinction in other games. "Kill" is a general term for a blind raise, but in my local room, it is understood to mean the 1/2 kill that applies after someone has scooped a pot of five big bets or more in an Omaha/Eight game. There are other ways of applying a kill, and a kill does not necessarily have to be part of the structure of the game.

*In Super/System, Doyle refers to a "set of fours" meaning four-of-a-kind.

03-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Terminology has changed over the years and often varies by geographical location, but in stud, the "turn" used to mean fourth street where I played. I personally haven't heard the term used at a stud table in maybe 20 years.

TRLS