PDA

View Full Version : First hand of a tourney...Dutch Boyd is a douchebag.

Tyler Durden
10-24-2004, 01:55 PM
A 2+2er related this hand to me.

It was the first hand of a $100 NL on Party.

Hero has AQ offsuit in the cutoff. UTG minraises to 30. Two coldcallers and our hero calls also.

Flop comes A-J-T two diamonds. Assume hero did not have a diamond.

UTG bets out 45, one caller, one fold, and it's on our hero. He folds.

Thoughts? thanks much.

betgo
10-24-2004, 02:26 PM
It's a dangerous board, but I wouldn't fold top pair second kicker to a 45 bet at a 130 pot.

deuces09
10-24-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't like getting pushed off a quarter-pot bet when I have TP decent kicker on that board when you have zero idea how UTG plays.

That said, given second thoughts, that board sucks for AQ

Ezcheeze
10-24-2004, 03:59 PM
He should have at least called to see what hits on the turn and what the action is. Theres a good chance hes winning folding to such a small bet is just being scared...

A small raise could give you alot of info about where UTG is at and may give you the option of checking the turn. Calling has alot of merit too I'm not sure which is better. One problem with raising is it allows someone with a good draw to push in and try to take the pot once it gets large which could cause you to fold the winner.

-Ezcheeze

MrX
10-24-2004, 05:16 PM
If he is not willing to call a 45 bet with that flop then he should have never called the preflop bet in the first place.

MrX

binions
10-24-2004, 05:37 PM
AQ is not beating AK, AJ, or AT.

Not beating AA, JJ or TT.

Not beating KQ or JT.

Only beating A9 or worse aces, KK, QQ, 99 or worse pairs, and KJ/KT/QJ/QT.

You can't be sure a Q helps you here, since it makes a 4 straight. And the Q of Diamonds might make someone a flush.

The best card you can get is a K, but that might split the pot, and if it is the K of Diamonds, someone might outdraw you.

The next best card is an Ace, but that assumes no one has AK, AJ or AT.

Very tough board for AQ. I'd have to damn sure about my read of the UTG minraiser. Even then, the other caller likely has diamonds at the least.

citanul
10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Care to explain?

citanul

steelpen3
10-24-2004, 10:31 PM
new web site www.thecrewisgay.com (http://www.thecrewisgay.com)
just started need ideas

betgo
10-24-2004, 10:40 PM
It's not great. However, there is a good chance you are ahead on the flop, particularly since no one has shown strength. Even if you are behind, you can make a straight or trips with a king or ace. How can you fold for a 1/4 pot bet.