PDA

View Full Version : Playing Big Hole Cards in Low Limit Stud

03-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Stud Experts,

Most of you who will respond know that I play primarily 2-10 spread limit. The games are very soft, and the implied odds are such that any live pair with any live kicker is almost always a limping hand. So, my question is this:

If I am limping in with a buried pair of threes, should I also be limping with two live big cards (Q or above, or in some instances, a J) in the hole? I can usually blow out most of the players with a $10 bet on 4th, so if I hit my big pair, I can generally play against one or two opponents.

This is a simple question, but in a game such as I describe, should I be calling the $2 bring-in with buried big cards, hoping to improve to a percentage winner on 4th street and, if not, being able to fold for minimal cost? Only if I also have two suited cards? Any recommendations helpful.

Thanks.

Mike

03-09-2002, 10:27 PM
I'm not a stud expert but i'll give you my opinion:

- If you don't raise with your BIg pairs (hidden or split) you are giving up too much in ANY game.

Don't fear the outdraws, generally speaking you are favorite to win the pot (if you don't face an higher 3rd street pair, of course)

The problem about limping or raising with those pairs is always the same: how many higher upcards meaning probable higher pairs than yours are you looking at? About the probable hidden big pairs of your opponents check about their style of play, their 3rd raises and the liveness of cards higher than your pair.

Marco

03-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Marco,

I was talking about playing with big cards that are not paired in the hole. Thanks for the response.

Mike

03-10-2002, 12:08 AM
I tested a lot of hands played with 3 big unsuited or two suited cards.

Here's the results:

LOST, LOST, LOST!

It's even worse if you play those starting hands in a table such as yours.

Your main goal with that hand is to hit a straight (broadway) and you have to check out the cards you need.

Lets' suppose you start with (A-K)J and many players call the 3rd bring-in. If on 4th you'll catch a brick you are out. If on fourth someone catches a two suited boards (worse if two or more players have a two flush on board on 4th) and you catch a Queen or a Ten you are out. The only case you can try to made your straight (hoping will be the best hand) is when you have a 3 flush working on 4th or you are lucky enough to represent a strong hand with a board such as (x-x)K-Q-10, always looking at opponents boards which have to not show 3 flush cards.

In normal "smart opponent" tables, I looked at broadways straights (in the 90% of the cases) when they started with a big pair catching on the subsequent streets a ten, Jack, queen, king or ace. And this is the main reason that when you play a probable big underpair your sidecard MUST BE a two suited card or a connected card.

Please post your answer about this topic (that is how your opponents react to these plays)

Marco

03-10-2002, 01:41 AM
No ante in these games and they are generally loose. Read the section on loose games in 7 Stud for Advanced and read Roy West's book on low limit stud.

03-10-2002, 07:42 AM
3 overcards to the board,U can play provided no more than 2 opponents stay in with U on 4th.

If U have 2 overcards to the board,U can play if no more than 1 opponent stays in with U. I'm not including the bring-in(in this case,I'm talking about 3 and 2 respectively).

So,if U can reduce the field sufficiently on 3rd,then it's OK to play.

U do not want to attempt a field reduction on 4th.because if if U obtain a big pair on 4th,

players can easily obtain good draws and small sets if U limp in with your big cards on 3rd.

If someone has a small pocket pair and connects with a small set at the same time that U connect with a big pair,U will usually lose a lot of chips.

If U always fold these hands in a no ante game,U will NOT be given up much!

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

03-10-2002, 12:19 PM
if you can blow players out by raising to ten you should do it often with just big cards especially in late position. just dont overdo it. it is usually not right to limp here since you do not want multiple callers even when you catch a big pair on fourth street. the only times i would limp is if the game is such that players often limp with nothing on third street and will fold to a bet. even then it is close.

Pat

03-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Patrick,

You think I should be raising with three (live) big cards? This is a hand I usually don't even play (just as I don't play the ones I asked about in this thread), but I am interested to hear your rationale for raising this hand.

The problem I see is that if I raise right away, I can take a small pot down. If I get any callers, I am likely beaten, and my hand, statistically, doesn't even do that well with a pair.

Are you saying that if the game conditions are right, if by betting the whole I can entice folds on later streets, to come in with a raise on these hands? This will have a few benefits: That I could win against a single opponent by catching a big pair, that I could win with nothing by pounding the pot with chips if they don't improve their one pair or connect on their draw, and that I will occasionally be showing down garbage like A-high that I bluff-bet on the river, thus giving me more to the end when I value bet just aces on the river?

Would you normally be folding hands like AKT, but raising them if the conditions are such that you could bet people out of the pot on later streets, or are you thinking specifically of hands like QJT two-suited with more ways to win? Thanks for the response.

Mike

03-10-2002, 09:21 PM
if you can take down the small pots then you should do it. It is better than losing a big one. the reason to be careful is that if you do it too much then you will be called by multiple players. This assumes that there is an ante fo course.

Plus if you make a big pair on fourth and the pot is heads up then you want your opponent calling if he has a smaller pair and no overcard.

Pat