PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Q's in a 40 BB Pot

CWsports
10-24-2004, 12:07 PM
I've included my thought process on each street after the flop. Please advise if you'd play the hand differently.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (21 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

With the pot at 22 SB when it gets to me I decide just to call. If I raise that puts 24 SB in the pot and even those acting after me that have to call 2 cold will be getting 12:1 so I wanted to wait until the turn to raise. I didn't want someone with as little as a gutshot to have the correct odds to call on the turn and river if I raised the flop and built the pot.

Turn: (13 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

The Ks puts 3 to a flush on the board, a possible overpair, and more straight possibilities so I decide to call. Even if someone has a flush or full house I give myself 2 outs to the Q and 1 out to the 10s for 3 outs which is enough to call the 14 BB pot. When the hand gets back to me there's 25 BB in the pot so I'm gettin 12.5:1. I figure I still have the 2 Q outs and the 10s for a total of 3 outs. I need 4 outs to make a call correct but I figure another spade on the river gives me the 2nd nut flush which could win if noone has the As or a full house. I figure this is worth at least 1 extra out so I call the extra 2 bets.

River: (28 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

On the river I think about attempting a check raise as the 2 players after me are the ones that did all the raising on the turn. I decide to bet out as I figure there's a good chance 1 of the 2 could raise me and I can 3 bet. When the hand is raised and gets back to me I think about overcalling to keep MP2 and the button in but the pot is so huge that I can't see either of them folding if I 3-bet so I 3 bet instead of overcalling.

Final Pot: 40 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 40 BB, between Hero, MP2, Button and SB.</font>

CWsports
10-24-2004, 06:46 PM
bump

DeuceKicker
10-25-2004, 03:41 AM
I think I would have played it the same (it's probably better not to include your thought process up front, as it may prejudice the jury). I like your reasoning on the river bet.

Ajax410
10-25-2004, 03:53 AM
I prefer a flop raise. Maybe I'm *too* aggressive, but I don't like giving cheap looks to overcards. I mean, the pot is big, chances are nobody is going to fold, but you are somewhat obligated to protect your hand, and calling doesn't seem like the best way to do it. Further, at this point in time, the pot is big enough that you'd be content to take it down right now - a bet will increase your pot equity (if others do fold) or at least force overcards to pay.

I don't know how great I feel about the turn. I mean, the odds are certainly there...and you do have a draw to the second nut flush - but I don't know how good that is right now with a paired board and a ton of action. Not to mention the fact that there HAVE to be some aces out in the field for this kind of betting to be happening. I mean - you definitly make a compelling argument for why you call - but it seems that with all the action, you're hugely behind in the hand.

River is good.

More important than your actions in this hand (which I personally disagree with...but are definitly okay choices), I like the level of thinking that is going into each of your moves. It shows a good understanding of the game and of the other players at the table. If you continue to use this level of analysis everytime you sit down at the table, you will be a winning player. So...good job.