PDA

View Full Version : AQs LP

Popinjay
10-24-2004, 02:32 AM
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, won by SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to SB.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB doesn't show.
Outcome: SB wins 12 BB. </font>

ALL1N
10-24-2004, 03:09 AM
Your line is good. If the SB can be made to lay down pairs, however, calling and raising the turn is another choice.

Scotch78
10-24-2004, 04:46 AM
I'm not sure if I like the flop 3-bet, would probably be player dependent. If SB only has a jack, then you're actually a favorite, so I'd 3-bet and hope he caps it. But the check-raise could mean two pair (Is he lose enough to defend the SB with something like J8s?) or a set of eights, in which case a smooth call is better. Any info on the villains betting patterns?

Scott

samdash
10-24-2004, 07:10 AM
This is a clear 3 bet for value on the flop. Other strategical advantages of 3 betting are only icing on the cake.

kiddo
10-24-2004, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But the check-raise could mean two pair (Is he lose enough to defend the SB with something like J8s?) or a set of eights, in which case a smooth call is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually mean that if you only call flop and if turn is your Q or A, but not flush, and he bets, you will not raise? I guess you will raise if you hit toppair and then you also should 3bet flop. Also, if he only calls your 3bet and checks turn you can take a freecard those 2/3 when you dont hit.

Of course he can have 2pair or a set, but not often enough to make you go into call-mode just because he is checkraising flop and you are sitting with 15 outs twice to beat his probable pair.

Scotch78
10-24-2004, 10:03 AM
I think you may have taken that piece out of context and misunderstood me. I was basically fishing for some info on the villain so we could make an educated guess on whether he had a pair or better. This is a situation where I think the correct play is completely determined by a read, but there wasn't one in the original post.

Scott

Popinjay
10-24-2004, 10:36 AM
didn't really have a read on the villain but i'm sure he wasn't a postflop rock

imitation
10-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Smooth calling the raise and CR the turn could be a powerful alternative to pick up the pot with a semibluff, but 3betting seems just as good. After the flop cap rest is standard stuff.

kiddo
10-24-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you may have taken that piece out of context and misunderstood me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I think we disagree. In my normal SH game this wouldnt be very player dependent.

My point was that if you are prepared to "only" call his flopcheckraise you must also be prepared to "only" call turn even if you hit toppair, waiting for your flush. Because if you think your overcards are clean its EV+ reraising flop. (+ u are still in control)

Against 90-95% at 5/10 and 10/20 I would think hitting A or Q would be good, so I would normally 3bet flop. (not sure I always do it, but if some1 asked I would say: do it /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Scotch78
10-24-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My point was that if you are prepared to "only" call his flopcheckraise you must also be prepared to "only" call turn even if you hit toppair, waiting for your flush. Because if you think your overcards are clean its EV+ reraising flop. (+ u are still in control)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I agree with everything the way you said it this time. I'm just more concerned about the overcards being dirty than you are, and I'll defer to you on that since you've played a lot more $5/10 and $10/20 than me :-)

Scott