PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set: aggro or overcalls?

Cosimo
10-24-2004, 12:41 AM
When should I go for overcalls vs raising the flop?

A couple hands popped up tonight when I flopped a set on a two-color board. I'm not too aggressive--my PT stats have me at around 1.4 A-TOT. I'm trying to work on that, and one hole I have is too often waiting for the turn to raise. If either of these flops was rainbow, I think I'd raise more easily. On the other hand, I think I need to raise more on the flop when there's a possible flush draw, since I'm ahead at that point and (if they don't have it) a 3rd flush card will kill my action.

Hand 1 : No raise preflop, and just four players. I don't have the top set in this hand, and the board is coordinated enough for a straight draw to be out there. I'll be first to act on every post-flop round.

BB is a bad bluffer; he bets with nothing into scary boards against players that will call down with any piece of the board. UTG and UTG+1 are typical poor players--not too loose or aggressive; I don't have specific reads on them.

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 : Pot is 3-bet preflop, with two opponents. I'm first to act on all rounds, which means my primary weapon shall be the check-raise. Due to the heavy betting, I'm less inclined to think a flush draw is out there. Also, I've got the best hand. Raise now, or wait for a blank/semi-blank on the turn?

I haven't seen UTG get too out of line; he called in MP with 87s and didn't raise the field when he flopped a flush draw. Not much else. MP2 is very loose pre and post, and tricky: he won't raise with trips or top two pair on the flop (he waits til the turn), and he limps with AA and AKo preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned a lot just posting this. I've spent about an hour touching it up, converting the hands, copying the reads over, etc. I think that's the biggest benefit for me in posting, because I kinda feel like I know exactly what y'all will say... /images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh well, bring it on!

cold_cash
10-24-2004, 03:59 AM
Hand 1 - Please bet.

Hand 2 - Since MP2 called UTG's raise it's very important that you make it 3 bets and stick it to him. If he had folded you might play it differently, but since he's in there make it as expensive for him, (and as profitable for you), as you can.