PDA

View Full Version : Which books do a really good job of explaining math in poker? DAVID?

bobaloo23
10-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Can someone tell me which book(s) is really good explaining the math in poker and how to calculate everything?

GrandMaster
10-23-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm pretty sure The Theory of Poker by Sklanksy explains it the best while Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players goes deeper into it.

Neil Stevens
10-24-2004, 12:30 AM
You'd probably be better off just getting a basic textbook on probability.

That way you can calculate any situation you want, plus you'll easier grasp discussions of poker-specific probabilities.

ohgeetee
10-24-2004, 01:40 AM
why dont you ask in the books and software forum?

If you're as poor at math as you are at reading, then I doubt any book will help.

Rushmore
10-24-2004, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're as poor at math as you are at reading, then I doubt any book will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets my vote for Most Unnecessarily Nasty and Condescending Post of The Day.

TylerD
10-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Yep. ohGT do you enjoy being a prick to everyone or just newbies?

jwvdcw
10-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Hes obviously a new guy with only 12 posts, so I do agree that this nasty comment was completely uncalled for.

However...I think that the lack of moderation here really hurts all the forums. Note to all of the mods out there: Hire some help! I'm sure some of the posters here would gladly do it for free if it meant they could have the bragging rights on having their name highlighted. And then get all of the extra help to move threads to their right forums and crack down on some of the unnecessary rudeness.

jwvdcw
10-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Also just to add: There is a 'Probability' forum here as well. I don't frequent it so I can't speak firsthand, but I would think that you could learn a lot about these topics by hanging out in there...that might be better than any book.

bobaloo23
10-24-2004, 12:38 PM
I only posted under WPT because I knew David posted his math questions here and thought I'd get a better response.

Ohgeetee just likes to spend his time arguing over how much money the pros have and who is gay, obviously a little insecure so I'm not worried about his comments.

Sponger15SB
10-24-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This gets my vote for Most Unnecessarily Nasty and Condescending Post of The Day.

[/ QUOTE ]

From you that is saying a lot.

ohgeetee
10-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Sorry, my lack of patience for people with an inability to post to appropriate forums has been hewn to a razor sharp edge from participating in online discussions for quite sometime. To see it happen on a site where the forums are even more specifically labelled than many other boards/newsgroups, it just mkaes that "what a retard" trigger go off.

Generally, when someone doesn't have the courtesy to post something in the apporpriate forum, I don't have the courtesy to post a valid response.

I also agree that if the moderation were a bit more active, it would be a good thing all together.

ohgeetee
10-24-2004, 12:58 PM
I think pleading to David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth for book recs in the wrong forums hoping that they may personally respond to you when there already exists a forum that lists exactly what you are looking for is a bit more of a sign of insecurity, but hey, thats just me.

Stew
10-24-2004, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang, so early and I didn't even have a shot at this one.

mrbaseball
10-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Since no one answered what you are probably looking for is the Hold 'em Odds Book by Mike Petriv.

Rushmore
10-24-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From you that is saying a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I walked right into that one.

At least I'm TRYING to fix my horrible personality.

What's YOUR excuse?