PDA

View Full Version : Stop chasing cards!!

02-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Why do players at the 1-3, 1-5, & 5-10 games chase after cards when they know they are beaten and have trash for a hand?

I got beat twice this week by inferior players chasing after cards.

I had "rolled up" deuces and raised @ 3rd St. and played them fast all the way to the River and got beat by a Straight. I couldn't raise or make a large enough max bet to get him out of the pot. Then the player had the balls to pat himself on the back as if he did something great.

There are also players who haven't seen a hand they didn't like, these players play every damn hand.

Poker is a very humbling game.

Ronin

02-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Welcome to low limit poker.

by thy way just cause you are rolled up doesn't me you are gonna win.

If they had 3 to a straight on 3rd he payed to see 1 more and got his 4th I would have raised yu back if all my cards were live.

Maybe you should look at someone else's hand but your own and see what they got.

02-28-2002, 06:34 PM

02-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Hello,Ronin,

"The Proud shall be humble" is very accurate in the poker world.

Remember,if many players were playing poker correctly,U would make little or NO money in the long run--in fact,U would most likely loss your money.

You need players who make these errors in order to "feed" you.

If they NEVER "suck" out on the good players,they would NEVER play again and you would not be a winning player.

BTW,being beaten by one of these poor players hurts just for 3 Mins. The pain does not last nearly as long as a toothache

You should congratulate the player for beating you and always be friendly to weak/poor players.

You want them to continue coming at your table. Do not show any anger --otherwise you might loss your "rent money"(LOL).

If U have a problem controlling your negative emotion(s), leave the table and go get some fresh air. This will rejuvenate U.

Remember,U need to look at the LONG RUN--anything can happen in the short run.

In one given session,an average player can beat an expert.

A slot player can beat the "slots" in the "short run".

Winning or losing a session or a series of consecutive sessions doesn't matter. All you need to do in the long run--about 2000 Hrs of play---is to make fewer mistakes than most of your opponents and you will show a long term profit.

Do not be discouraged. Study the poker literature diligently--not just read the book(s) once or twice. Study the forum members' ideas on this site.Read some poker articles in "Poker Digest" and "Cardplayer" on a regular basis.

Think about your play after losing with a hand and determine if you played the hand the way should have been played.

If U think U did,then there is nothing U can do about controlling the random distribution of the cards.

So relax and enjoy the game--win or loss!

I read an article about a player who told a pro that he was beaten several times after raising with his A's on 3rd Str. He was very frustrated and felt like a "dying cockroach". He wanted to know what he should be doing. The pro said: Keep playing the same way".

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

02-28-2002, 08:07 PM

02-28-2002, 08:18 PM
It's not obvious he's against a set, no matter how many bets he's put into the pot. If a king raised, an Ace re-raised and the deuce 4-bets it, well yeah, it's pretty obvious he's rolled up, but it looks to me like he bet and was never raised during the hand. Thus, it's not totally apparent he's on a set.

Raising with a drawing hand against players who you know will pay you off isn't a bad thing, especially when there are other players in the pot to offer you correct odds on your hand. This is also a good free-card play.

It's often correct to raise what you know is the better hand, for many reasons.

ADV Scottro

02-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Great comments, and right on the money!

ADV Scottro

02-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Hello,ADV,

Assuming U did not put your opponent on a set,I agree with U.

Just last night,I drove the betting on 5th with a split pair of dry K's and one of my opponents raised me.

I put her on a set.

I played with her a few times before and didn't remember her semi-bluffing before.

Even though I put her on a set,I called both 5th,6th and 7th with a "dry" pair of K's.

Why did I call? I don't know. Maybe I just felt like playing!

Maybe I was experiencing a parapsychological phenomenon--don't knock it!

Maybe the poker gods encouraged me to continue!

No real logical reason to have continued!

Well,anyway, my opponent showed a pair of "dry" T's and I look it down.

I guess the poker gods favor "clean-living" poker players(LOL)!

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

02-28-2002, 08:53 PM

02-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Hello,Ronin,

Log on to "www.cardplayer.com" under writer Roy West for a discussion of your question.

When U are in the site,click on "writers".

Then click on "Roy West".

His article appears in the Nov. 23,2001 issue in Vol.14,No.24.

Sitting Bull

03-01-2002, 03:16 AM
TIME TO MOVE UP IN STAKES.

03-01-2002, 06:11 PM
If I remember the odds right, 40% of the time you'll get a full house by the river, so even when they get their straight, you'll beat them. So you'll win when they don't catch you, and 40% of the time when they do. So keep betting!

It's often said with trips that if you don't lose a lot or make a lot, you didn't play them right.

03-01-2002, 07:40 PM

03-02-2002, 02:34 AM
This may not be the answer. I have played $30/60 hold'em against a couple of guys who will throw $300 after the flimsiest of draws. I don't think that it is possible to move up to a level where no one throws money after dubious hands. I, for one, am thankful.

03-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Twice? In a solid 8 hour session I'd expect at least 10 bad beats by ridiculous hands. If you're playing perfectly then a large % of the times you lose should be a bad beat.

If poker is a humbling game why are most of it's players such arrogant asses?