PDA

View Full Version : Little help regarding poker chip set

Big Country
10-23-2004, 06:35 PM
I am looking to get a set for myself, and possible one for my dad as well.

I was looking at the EdgeSpot NExGen (http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=10-8000) at 5Stardeal, just curious if anyone has these or has used them before, and if so, your input on how they are.

I do have some custom artwork that I would wnat to do, so my two thoughts are either to go with these and do something like a label for them, or to go with the Chipco type chips, but those are a lot more expensive.

Could use some input from those of you that have ordered chip sets already.

Thank you all.

theWhale
10-23-2004, 06:43 PM
How many chips do you think you need?

Big Country
10-23-2004, 07:03 PM
I was thinking between 1500 and 2000 total.

FOr me, average game would have 8-10 players, so I figure a set of 750 should be good, and I'd just duplicate it to get a set for my dad for his birthday/Christmas present, giving a total of 1500, but if there was a quantity discount at 2000 or if I am underestimating the quantity of chips I would need for a typical 8-10 person game, then I would bump it.

ecspade
10-23-2004, 09:43 PM
The amount of chips you will need is entirely dependant on what kind of poker you play. My home game is all tournament style, so we use several colors of chips and color up as we go. With $10,000 buyins, you get 4 $1000, 8 $500, 15 $100 and 20 $25. The blinds start at $25-$25, and go up every twenty minutes. Even if you are playing for smaller limits, you can use these chip values just as easily. Notice that you only have to start with 47 chips per person, which keeps the cost of buying tons of chips down, as well as keeps monstrous piles of chips for each player, and putting out 20-40 chips just to pay a blind. As the tournement goes, we color the $25's out when they are no longer necessary, and sometimes even the $100's. If you have to, you can get one more denomination of $5000 or $10,000.
With 10 players, you actually won't need more than 500 chips with this system.
Also, rather than buying those chips, i would look on ebay. You can find great deals on chip sets that come in briefcases for about $120 for 1000 chips. Most places will even let you choose the color composition of your chipset.
I recommend the dice set with the 6 edge spots. They, compared to the standard suited chips, are a little thicker, and stronger.