PDA

View Full Version : I might suck?

adamstewart
10-23-2004, 05:06 PM
... well, at least at short-handed.

Let me preface this by acknowledging that some of my sample sizes are too small. Neverthess, I require your advice.

Since acquiring PokerTracker, I have the following data (assume full ring games, unless otherwise stated):

(i) $1/$2, 3845 hands, 4.03 BB/100
(ii) $2/$4, 28,322 hands, 2.49 BB/100
(iii) $3/$6, 6033 hands, 4.42 BB/100
(iv) $5/$10 6max, 7068 hands, -(0.83)BB/100 <--note: negative

I've had a rude awakening when it comes to SH play. (I'm still in the red even with my 15 quads so far this month! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I realize that the game is very streaky, and 7000 hands is not a sufficient sample size. Nevertheless, I cannot ignore the losses that are staring me in the face.

I have felt as tough I've been "rivered" more than my fair share as of late at the 5/10 SH. Even others at my table noticed such last night. And I can pick out my opponents' mistakes in such instances - though I do not find them as prevelant as in $/3/$6. However, I am worried that this may only be my "selective" memory. Plus, the swings are killer.

On the other hand, when I play $3/$6, I feel that I am on auto-pilot, even though I 4-table. I mean this is great, because it's easy money, and one of my main purposes for playing is to partially support myself through school. (What I mean by "partially" is that it is not "necessary," but nice to have the extra funds).

BUT, my success at $3/$6, and the apparent ease thereof, leaves me wanting more, knowing that 'more' should be entirely possible. Again, I know my sample size is small at $3/$6 thus far. However, I find it terribly easy to pick out my opponent's mistakes, etc. at the $3/$6. I know that if I wait long enough, eventually their money will come to me.

I've tried a few orbits at the $5/$10 ring game, and as others have mentioned, the games suck. Too many tight rocks.

I am thinking of one possible solution, at least for now: Perhaps I should look into buying a second and/or bigger monitor in order to possibly 6-8 table $3/$6.?

As always, thank you all for your advice. It is appreciated.

Adam

PS. If I've left out any essential information, or you require further insight into any of the above, please let me know.

Schneids
10-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I imagine 3/6 full ring and 5/10 6-max tables are very similar on the overall whole. Combine your 3/6 and 5/10 stats and you are running at 1.58BB/100 in 13,101 hands.

To give you an idea of the long term, so far in October I have played 16,214 hands of 10/20, with a .41BB/100 WR. Compare this to September where I played 17,337 hands and had a 5.49BB/100 WR.

It is not unusual to be a loser in 7,000 hand stretches. Keep playing 5/10 longer if you have the roll to.

Trix
10-24-2004, 11:04 AM
I think they are complety different games. With the blind structure in 3/6 you can play very tight, so the hand ranges are pretty well defined alot of the time, since there arenīt many steal situations and you dont have to defend the SB really.
In shorthanded, you have to find the balance in preflop again and it takes longer to define peoples hands, as the hand ranges are pretty wide most of the time.

Scotch78
10-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Try the short-handed $3/6 games at Pokerstars or Paradise and see how they feel.

Scott

imitation
10-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Nah just play more hands kkk

fyodor
10-24-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface this by acknowledging that some of my sample sizes are too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe *all* your sample sizes are too small. Given that you have won at 3 limits though I think we can make the assumption that you are likely a winning player though.

At PartyPoker this doesn't take much. I believe that I flat out suck when the competition gets tough. This is *not* some form of false modesty. I generally play decent preplop although I have a tendency to lag it up a bit in situations that don't warrant it.

Postflop I can either overplay my hand or be pushed off with a lot of aggression. Both these tendencies can arise when I am running bad.

As bad as I am I can still beat the game at Party because there are so many players weaker than me. I had no trouble at 5/10 and am slightly ahead at 10/20.

I believe the single biggest factor in beating the SH games (and perhaps any game at Party) is table selection. If I sit down at a table of decent 2+2'rs I am going to lose money every time unless the deck hits me in the face. It is pretty easy to find tables with 1 or even 0 good players at it though. At that point you just have to contend with bad beats.

As much as I suck right now I can't believe how bad I was when I first sat down at the SH 5/10. I can see some improvement in my game and at one point in the future I will be able to loosen up my 'starting table requirements'.

Anyhow this has all been a convoluted way of saying I think if you have the bankroll stick to the 5/10. If you can beat the other games you can beat it too.