PDA

View Full Version : NBA!!!!!

Ulysses
10-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Now that baseball is over, I figured we should start talking about how awesome Yao and T-Mac are gonna be. I think they need to add a quality guard or two, but once they do that, they should be winning championships for years.

Toro
10-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Baseball over? Yankee fan?

bugstud
10-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Houston, remember? The NBA really should be locked out too.

JTG51
10-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Instead, since no one cares about the NBA, lets talk about how awesome UConn is going to be and their chances to win yet another National Championshihp!

Toro
10-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Boys or girls?

banditbdl
10-23-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that baseball is over, I figured we should start talking about how awesome Yao and T-Mac are gonna be. I think they need to add a quality guard or two, but once they do that, they should be winning championships for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a couple of guys who go by the initials TD and KG might have something to say about this...

challenger84
10-23-2004, 04:32 PM
K-mart, Camby, Melo, Nene and Andre Miller. The class of the division is no longer the T-wolves. Nuff said.

mikech
10-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Diablo, are you a member of ClutchFans[originally ClutchCity].net? If not, you should be.

goofball
10-23-2004, 05:07 PM
things i'm looking forward to in the NBA this year

-the lakers losing
-the first time miami plays LA
-the second time miami plays LA
-the blazers not sucking
-the lakers losing
-damon stoudamire attempting to smuggle more things through PDX by wrapping them in tin foil
-the lakers losing

JTG51
10-23-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boys or girls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both?

scrub
10-23-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I go home, I'm astonished at how popluar the women have become.

When I overhear people talking about basketball in a diner, the odds are they're talking about the women. Not the Knicks (understandable), the Celtics (understandable), the men (inexplicable), but the women.

If I call the house while the men are playing, my parents will give me an update on the score and talk to me. If I call while the women are playing, my mom tells me to call back later.

Pretty weird, if you ask me.

scrub

JTG51
10-23-2004, 05:48 PM
When I overhear people talking about basketball in a diner, the odds are they're talking about the women. Not the Knicks (understandable), the Celtics (understandable), the men (inexplicable), but the women.

It's all about the demographic. Women and senior citizens seem to love the Women's team. The reason with women is obvious, but I'm not sure why it's true with seniors. Maybe because many of them are casual fans and are more attracted to the team that wins every game. I think that's the case with my grandparents anyway. But among hardcore sports fans, the Men's team is still much more popular, I think.

If I call the house while the men are playing, my parents will give me an update on the score and talk to me. If I call while the women are playing, my mom tells me to call back later.

Pretty weird, if you ask me.

Yes, that is pretty weird. They must not like you much.

scrub
10-23-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is pretty weird. They must not like you much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew there was a reason Andy got sympathy and you didn't...

scrub

JTG51
10-23-2004, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew there was a reason Andy got sympathy and you didn't...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! I'm usually a pretty nice guy, but definitely not in the same league as Andy Fox. Then again, who is?

scrub
10-23-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haha! I'm usually a pretty nice guy, but definitely not in the same league as Andy Fox. Then again, who is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I've never met Andy, he does seem like pretty stiff competition.

I'm probably going to be in LA sometime next month. If you're around I'll buy you a beer in lieu of sympathy...

scrub

JTG51
10-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm probably going to be in LA sometime next month.

Let me know when your plans are definite.

Clarkmeister
10-23-2004, 06:11 PM
The Bulls are all set to make their run at the title. Look out Eastern Conference!

Bukem_
10-23-2004, 06:20 PM
I predict the Wizards to stop them.

Clarkmeister
10-23-2004, 06:22 PM
No way dude, we are rolling this year! I figure 38 wins gets us in the playoffs and from there we pounce!

Schneids
10-23-2004, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K-mart, Camby, Melo, Nene and Andre Miller. The class of the division is no longer the T-wolves. Nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Adding K-Mart to a very mediocre squad last year is not going to help their cause. He is not a good player to fit in with a young team like that and Melo is still 3 years from truly learning his role and blossoming into a superstar. The only way the Nugs have any chance is if Nene has made immense strides over the offseason.

theBruiser500
10-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Actually Diablo, baseball isn't over yet, the world series is going on now.

Toro
10-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Question: What do yo call 25 guys sitting in front of a TV set watching the World Series?

Answer: The New York Yankees

dr. klopek
10-23-2004, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
things i'm looking forward to in the NBA this year

-the lakers losing
-the first time miami plays LA
-the second time miami plays LA
-the blazers not sucking
-the lakers losing
-damon stoudamire attempting to smuggle more things through PDX by wrapping them in tin foil
-the lakers losing

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, the Blazers aren't going to be any good this year. Oh, they'll have talent and potential, maybe some violent outbursts, some arrests, you know, the usual til they choke.

banditbdl
10-23-2004, 09:07 PM
The Nuggets won't finish any better than 5th in the West.

goofball
10-23-2004, 09:08 PM
we got rid of several thugs

banditbdl
10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we got rid of several thugs

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true, but they're still woefully short on talent to think realistically about the playoffs.

goofball
10-23-2004, 09:25 PM
not make the playoffs?

i'd fairly confident they will. Stodamire, despite my joke is clean and resmbling the player he was during his rookie year. DA will be healthy. I don't know why we got Van Exel, he's old and mediocre. Ratliff will continue to kick ass, but by far most importantly we have Tim Grgurich back.

challenger84
10-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Finishing 8th in an incredibly talented western conference is hardly mediocore. Besides, Kiki is building for a championship, not year after year of disappointing first round exits. :/

P.S. I'm a big T'wolves fan also, so that isn't a dig.

goofball
10-23-2004, 09:35 PM
how many years in a row have the wolves gone out?

i think the blazers hit 6

banditbdl
10-24-2004, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not make the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

San Antonio
Minnesota
Sacramento
Dallas
Houston
Denver
Utah
Memphis

These are the 8 playoff teams as I see them, if one of them slips up Blazers will still have to fight the Lakers and maybe the Suns for the last spot.

banditbdl
10-24-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how many years in a row have the wolves gone out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they were in the Western Conference Finals last year, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Barring injuries or some craziness they'll be back again to play the Spurs and we'll see what happens. Everybody else is playing for 3rd in the West.

J.R.
10-24-2004, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And that some of the Nuggets weren't terribly disappointed to see Kenyon Martin sock Nene in the eye during their first pre-camp pickup game, because Nene has been known to bully his teammates in practice. But I'm also told that K-Mart, on the day after, sought out Nene one-on-one to tell him he considered the incident "over" and to promise that he'll be the first Nugget ready to dismember someone if the Brazilian ever needs backup during a real scrap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Progress (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1906548#)

This is exactly what they need, a physcial presence who can gaurd a 4, 3 or 2 and will toughen the team, be a leader, take criticism (be a media face) and contribute 15ish points and 9 big rebounds (especially D rebounds) a night.

"He is not a good player to fit in with a young team like that"

He is athletic and can run and pass (they lead the league in fastbreak points last year, using the homecourt high altitude to run opponents ragged) and a tenacious, physical (something camby can't be a nene often does not want to be) defender. He is gonna light a fire under nene (as shown above) who plays soft and dieinterested with flashes of domination. And carmello's d-less star-attitude, which couldn't be culled by lame duck Jeff Bzdelick and flared itself this summer with larry brown on the olympic team won't sit to well with K Mart. Miller, Camby, Nene, Melo, Boykins, Leornard- none of them are fiery, emotional lead. He fits in perect with their game. miller, melo, nene, camby, kmart. It'll win games. Not dominate, but a bit better than S.I.'s 7th best team in the west, maybe 6-5 behind Minn, Houston, SA, Sacramento and probably Dallas (although Dampier?) and/or maybe Utah as well- LA is overrated.

Sooga
10-24-2004, 06:47 AM
I'm hoping T-Mac can adjust to the fact that after those years in Orlando he finally has someone to pass the ball to that isn't a total stiff.

hmohnphd
10-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Yes, although it crushed my soul to see Steve Nash leave, I can't wait for Dirk to bring the Mavs their long anticipated title.

goofball
10-24-2004, 12:58 PM
sorry, i mean how many in a row had they gone out in the first round.

they did excorcise the demons last year

goofball
10-24-2004, 01:04 PM
your top 4 should be pretty solid favorites to make it, but none of those bottom 4 are better than "likely to make it" at best.

banditbdl
10-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, they had some trouble for awhile in the 1st round. I just think the whole 1st round chokers thing was completely fabricated. The bottom line is the Wolves were simply outclassed year-after-year, it's not like they were blowing it against teams they should beat. Sure, an upset would have been nice, but true upsets are really pretty few and far between in the NBA playoffs.

Neil Stevens
10-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Yeah, but there was that one year they got home court in the first round for the first time.. and had to play the Lakers.

Technically they're the ones who got upset, heh.

Justin A
10-24-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Master of the Obvious strikes again.

Justin A

theBruiser500
10-24-2004, 04:42 PM
I thought it was obvious too but Diablo apparently has to be reminded.

NLSoldier
10-24-2004, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, one of the funniest things ive read on 2+2, thanks for that. Hilarious!

Justin A
10-24-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was obvious too but Diablo apparently has to be reminded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I misunderstood his post. I got the feeling that he was making a statement that the World series is anti-climatic after the ALCS. I'm pretty sure he knows that the World Series is still going on.

Justin A

Justin A
10-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Btw Bruiser, are you going to write another journal soon in the NL forum? I'm very interested to hear how your short handed play has been going, and hear how it compares to your ring game experience.

Justin A

Non_Comformist
10-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Western Conference
1.Spurs
2.T-Wolves
3.Kings
4.Jazz
5.Nuggets
6.Rockets
7.Grizzlies
8.Lakes

9.Mavericks
10.Hornets
11.Suns

12.Blazers
13.Sonics
14.Warriors
15.Clippers

I think the Lakers, Mavericks & Hornets battle fot the last spot. The Spurs and T-Wolves are far ahead of the rest. I kept the Kings 3rd but wouldn't be suprised if they fell and another team like Denver stepped up. I think the Rockets are the most likely to dissapoint.

1.Pistons
2.Pacers
3.Heat
4.Celtics
5.76ers
6.Bucks
7.Knicks
8.Bulls

9.Cavaliers
10.Magic
11.Raptors

12.Wizards
13.Nets
14.Hawks
15.Bobcats

Basically a three team race, with the rest fighting it out in the middle. The Celtics do look good. Sixers, Knicks & Bucks good all slip and be replaced by any of the 9-11 teams. I think the Bulls finally get something done (couple of contract years I think) and I betting on a Grant Hill comeback. The Nets were a hard team to place.

Lawrence Ng
10-24-2004, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Bulls are all set to make their run at the title. Look out Eastern Conference!

[/ QUOTE ]

And Shaq makes his return to LA!!!!!

Lawrence Ng
10-24-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply, yet super funny reply. Go get 'em Brusier!

Lawrence Ng
10-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Lest not we forget about the NFL????

ThaSaltCracka
10-24-2004, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lest not we forget about the NFL????

[/ QUOTE ]
The No Fun League??? [censored] that [censored], football sucks until about weeks 10-11.