PDA

View Full Version : Heads up 5 card stud hand

02-20-2002, 01:28 AM
Online $2/4 game. 25c ante, $1 bringin.

I pick up KhKd, and my sole opponent picks up (x)Kc. He brings it in for $1, and i just call along, wanting to trap him.

On 3rd he catches the Ks giving him open Kings and i catch the lowly 2h. Nothing could have been worse, but i can potentially win a big pot off him here, as he would never believe i had Kings.

Now this player would likely have bought it in for the maximum if he held a strong hole card. I think any picture card he would've bet $2, and certainly with an ace.

How would you play the hand from here on in, assuming you play it at all.

02-20-2002, 03:50 AM
This would be a good problem to run through Poker Probe, which unfortunately I don't have. But my gut feeling is that even if he has only a modest kicker, you're too far behind to play this hand with only two cards to come.

TRLS

02-20-2002, 06:57 AM
After simulating 1,000,000 hands (giving your opponent a 9) it comes up that you win 43.36% of the time. Hope this helps.

02-20-2002, 12:57 PM
I ran the million hand sim without assuming a downcard for the opponent. This says that you will win 41.56% of the time. I would call his bet on 3rd street, or raise if I picked up an Ace. This is because he will assume you have a pair of aces, and may fold (probably not?), and even if he does call, you are most likely ahead at that point. I would follow the same idea on 4th street. If I didn't pick up a high kicker or 2nd pair by 5th street, I would fold, rather than call the final bet.

--Homer J.

BTW, I am very new around here, so please don't bash my thoughts if you disagree. I would like to hear the thought processes of others, so that I can get better at thinking about poker...

02-20-2002, 02:16 PM
No bashing, but if your opponent has any sense, and views you similarly, he will know that you have kings when you call his kings. So your implied odds are terrible - you can't win any $ on 5th.

Dan Z.

02-20-2002, 02:54 PM
Just a note on the difference in winning %s: Homer's win % is smaller because he puts a random down card in. However, Mr. Peterson tells us that anything above a 10 is unlikely. I guess to be fair it'd be best to run a million sims for each hole card 2-9 and then average them out (w/the sim for the 2 only counting 3/4 of the rest.) I believe this is really too much of a pain in the ass for this topic. But I guess if someone's got 10 minutes of their life they don't mind pissing away...

02-20-2002, 05:58 PM
As Dan Z points out, you're only possible hole card is a K (unless you're a terrible player), so you're in bad shape for two reasons.

1) He knows your hole card, but you've got no idea what his is.

2) He's got a better hand.

Ouch!

02-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Well anyway i played the hand, because i actually think my opponent is a total idiot (i like playing heads up against idiots).

I made a J kicker on the river and raised him, and he was totally taken back that i had Kings. Anyway this put him on tilt as well and i took the rest of his money. Turned out he had an 8 in the hole. I thought my win % would have been slightly higher, even though i am playing in the dark (although so is he (remember hes stupid), he must have figured me for an Ace in the hole, or alternatively not thought at all).

02-21-2002, 06:33 PM
Playing against idiots opens up a whole range of winning strategies.