Rambling & Gambling time?
Level IV (30/60) mini tourney, NL Hold'em
6 players left

SB ( Hero) : $1.100
BB ( Villian) : $3.305
Button : $1.350

Pre Flop :
It is folded to the Button who limps in with 60 and
Hero calls another 30 in the SB with [Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif].
<font color="red">Q1 Should Hero consider folding or raising?</font>
Villian raises 90, Button folds, Hero calls
<font color="red">Q2 Should Hero have folded here?</font>
Not really sure what to put the Villian on. That small Pre-flop raise could be an information raise with a AJsuited-type hand, medium pair... or even AA.

Flop :
[9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
2 players, Pot = 330
Hero bets 300 on his straight draw with two (hopefully live) overcards.
Hero argues that checking on the flop is the same as giving the pot up.
Villian now raises all-in. The pot is now 1280, and Hero decides to call with his last 650.

<font color="red">Q3 Could Hero have folded here?</font> He would have ended up a small stack in a 6 handed game if he did (650 stack vs. an average stack of 1667)... or is our Hero on for the ride since he raised 300 on the flop to begin with?

Phill S
10-23-2004, 11:16 AM
id check the flop. that preflop bet feels fishy, and afterall you only have Q high.

if he goes all in im folding. youve got value, but not enough to argue that you need to call here. if he checks then i bet pot on the turn, if hes trapped me, good for him.

not sure what id do if he bet pot or half pot. id probably have to fold, or call if pot odds show it has value (but only count the straight draw outs, im feeling him for a big pair).

the other way to play it is to raise all in on the flop. but that depends on your read, stack sizes of all 6 players, pay-out structure and when blinds go up and what to . these all need to be touched on in the descision.

Phill

betgo
10-23-2004, 03:12 PM
I would check. You have a gut shot draw. If you had an opne ended plus the overcards, you are about 50/50 versus top pair, so you might want to play it strongly.

rjb03
10-23-2004, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would check. You have a gut shot draw. If you had an opne ended plus the overcards, you are about 50/50 versus top pair, so you might want to play it strongly.

[/ QUOTE ]

His straight draw is OE.

bugstud
10-23-2004, 04:36 PM
I suggest checkraising allin rather than leading.

lastchance
10-24-2004, 01:08 AM
I agree. You've got to be the one forcing him to a decision, not him forcing you. Almost always check-raise all-in with monster draws when you're in the SB and BB. It's the best place to put it in with, by far. Considering you led out, I think you have to call.

paulish
10-24-2004, 03:08 PM
thx for the response guys!

Here is the rest of the hand;

The flop was [9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif], when Hero calls all in with [Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif].
Vilian flips over [K/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif].

It's a virtual coin flip (Hero is a 47,4% dog)

Turn : [9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] [J/images/graemlins/club.gif]

River : [9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] [J/images/graemlins/club.gif] [2/images/graemlins/club.gif]

Hero wins 2260 with a pair of jacks

So the pre-flop play was OK, but Hero should have checked the flop (instead of leading out with a pot-size bet), with a chance of
either getting a free card,
or putting the Vilian on hard decision with a check-raise all-in.

Right? Thx again!
<font color="blue"> paulish </font>

lastchance
10-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Exactly.

betgo
10-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Checking with idea of checkraising allin is probably the best. However, there are a lot of ways to play it on the flop. You can check-call or just open push.

The way you played it wasn't too bad. Calling the raise allin was easy. The problem is if your opponent flat calls on the flop and pushes on teh turn.

ChuckNorris
10-24-2004, 06:39 PM
If you're going to call a raise all-in you should be pushing all-in yourself so that the opponent won't get to raise you, when you're not holding the nuts or close enough.

captZEEbo1
10-24-2004, 09:40 PM
this type of hand is a lot better in limit than NL /images/graemlins/wink.gif, basically your only hope is that he has AT or AK and sucks