PDA

View Full Version : Too Agro on flop, or good play?

pfkaok
10-23-2004, 02:47 AM
First off, should I be coldcalling raises with suited broadways or suited connts ever?? I've been doing more of it lately when the table is loose, and we're getting a lot of multiway action. (Trying to find spots to increase VPIP) Also the raiser here had a very high PFR, so I figured he could be any pair, any 2 big cards, and maybe any A. Is this a good time to try to increase my chances of winning on flop with 12 SB in there already? I feel like I could very well have him beat on flop, plus If not I probably have outs, and I'd have position if I could get heads up. On turn I'm probably behind, but I gotta call with this many outs, right? (another 10, a J, or likely even a Q) I'm almost certain my hand is no good on river, but can I lay down with this sized pot for 1 bet? (maybe he had busted flush draw) Coming from NL, I have trouble laying down when I'm getting 11:1 on my call. I don't know if I'm making or losing money from it, but I've been surprised how many times A high, or mid pair has been good in these HU pots.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Alobar
10-23-2004, 04:12 AM
I fold this preflop in this situation. you've got one limper and a raiser and you are in the CO, most of the time I dont see enough people coming in behind you to make it worth your call. Not with QTs at least.

I dont like the flop raise. Your kicker isnt an overcard to the board, meaning you can hit your queen and still lose to a better two pair. Your queen outs also gives AJ the straight. The board has a flush draw on it so it dirties your outs, or leaves a redraw for your opponents if you hit on the turn. Your holding would be much better if you had an overcard kicker or a backdoor flush draw, then it might be a good play to make.

This hand you are also at a disadvantage of basically acting first so you have to worry about it getting raised after you call. so even getting 12-1 I prolly fold this on the flop

StellarWind
10-23-2004, 12:04 PM
It is OK to coldcall 2 bets with a strong multiway hand like QJs if several players are committed to the pot and conditions are generally favorable.

Your actual coldcall with QTs and only two players is icky. I don't care if PFR is LAG, his hand is still probably better than yours and he's not the only player at the table.

I'm going to assume that this MP2 will bet the flop because it's his turn. Accordingly I think you should continue playing with MPGK and a backdoor straight draw of sorts. At 13 SB the pot is a little big to just give up. Having decided to play, the raise stands out to protect the pair, protect the outs, and maybe buy a free card.

Which you should have taken when the ace falls. Your hand now has very little chance to be good but you've added a gutshot to your outs. That is a terrible situation to be betting and often getting checkraised. Take your free card and decide about the river after you see it.

Gatts
10-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Hero can't take a free card because MP2 bet.

StellarWind
10-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Oops /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Somehow I read the big streets as Hero betting and villian calling rather than vice-versa. I suppose it's what I expected to see after villian called the flop raise.