PDA

View Full Version : Questionable PF cap against LAGs

ArchonsEngine
10-23-2004, 02:37 AM
LAG1 has VP$IP > 50 and PFR around 15 after 80 hands. LAG2 has VP$IP > 90 and PFR > 40 after 30 hands. Given that I know their starting hand standards are total crap, is the cap here reasonable?

Thanks.

--ArchonsEngine

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG <font color="purple">(LAG1)</font> raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO <font color="purple">(LAG2)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG <font color="purple">(LAG1)</font> calls, CO <font color="purple">(LAG2)</font> calls.

milesdyson
10-23-2004, 02:42 AM
That would be reasonable at almost any table.

Given that CO raises over 40% of the time pre-flop, not capping here would be pretty bad.

Greg J
10-23-2004, 02:50 AM
I don't find this questionable. I think capping is better than coldcalling 3 bets ~100% of the time.

DeuceKicker
10-23-2004, 03:03 AM
I agree. The only argument I can think of for just calling would be to disguise your hand's strength when you're pretty sure one of them will cap it anyway. I think it depends on how these two LAGs play after the flop. Will they slow down? Will they notice that you don't play many hands but are in this one? Or are they total maniacs who will cap every street regardless?

If they're going to cap no matter what, then throw the chips in. But today I played with two LAGs (not quite as LAG as these guys) who started slowing down if I was in the pot with them after I took a couple of 25BB pots from them. Near the end of the session I was able to bet my whiffed AK/AQs on the flop and turn and they'd both fold.

So if you think both of these guys will respect you, you could try calling pre-flop and jamming it for three bets if an A or K hits the flop. Otherwise cap it.

ArchonsEngine
10-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Both LAGs had sucked out on me in the few times I was in pots with them, so, sadly, they showed little respect for my cap. Flop was JTT rainbow, checked to me, they called. Turn was a Q for my broadway, checked to me, they called. River was a third T, and that's all she wrote (LAG1 took it down with his KJs, LAG2 folded the river).

Thinking about it afterward, I wasn't sure whether I should do just what you said--try to disguise my hand and bet out if there was a good flop--or cap and get the bets in as soon as I could.

Thanks for the feedback.

--ArchonsEngine

SteveY
10-23-2004, 04:43 AM
thumbs up.

If youre deciding whther to cap or just call the 3-bet, think about the EV you gain from the disguising of your hand postflop vs the EV you gain from having the LAGs call one more small bet preflop.

I'd think your disguising plan doesn't make up for the +1SB EV you can get preflop by capping, as even if you disguise your hand, much of your postflop play will be the same regardless of preflop play:o.