PDA

View Full Version : Stupid play?

02-14-2002, 03:19 PM
On sixth street, I have a four flush and a made straight with two other opponents. One has a four flush up, Ace high in the same suit as my four flush. Two of my flush cards are down. And there are 11 hearts dealt that I know of. The other player has three spades king high. Ace high bets, king high calls and i raise. Ace high reraises and king high folds. I call. Ace high checks the river and and I turn over my straight and ace high mucks. King high then starts yelling about my raise and his folding the winner.

It seems to me that I made a good play, in that I knew there were only two hearts that ace high could have or get. I figured to be a favorite against him. I was also hoping for the reraise as I knew it would get king high out.

King high just kept babbling about betting into a four flush and telling me how lucky i was and how people who do not know how to play poker always take all his money. I think that I made a good strategically sound play but I would like other thoughts. Thanks.

02-14-2002, 04:47 PM
You've really got to know the player who has the four-flush showing to be sure he'll re-raise without having the flush. And, that the K-high flush will be willing to laydown his hand. This is the type of play where knowledge of your opponents is vastly more important than the cards anybody is holding.

Against unknown opponents, I think folding your straight is probably best after the K-high calls the first bet.

02-14-2002, 07:38 PM
I made a mistake in a one table satellite, because I feared the other players may have been colluding.

I started with a pair of aces. The bring was completed by the player in seat five with a jack up. Seat six called. Seat seven raised with a queen up. I re-raised from seat eight with an ace up. The bring in folded, seats five, six, and seven called. I figure I had the highest pair. What appeared to be blanks fell for everyone, but seat six bet. I should have figured trips by this time, but I didn't figure he would call two bets from someone with an Ace up with either jacks or a pair with a jack kicker, and I didn't put him on rolled up Jacks. Apparently, neither seat six didn't put him on trips either. Seat seven, a solid player, quickly folded.

To make a long story short, on the end, I had aces up. Seat five bet, and seat six raised. I realized that seat six thought he could beat seat five but not me, or they could be colluding in an attempt to steal the pot from me. I called two bets only to see seat five lay down trip sixs.

Any comments?

02-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Seems like you shouldn't play Aces in stud either! Just like your holdem theory, I guess you need to hit trips to win.

02-14-2002, 10:05 PM
What do you know about Stud? Just because you lucked into $80 bucks in a 1-5 game last week doesn't mean you're qualified to give advice on this truly fascinating and complex game. Stick to that game where you only get two cards.

The correct play would be to 3-bet with Aces-up on 4th street or to wait to raise on 5th street.

The guy who folded trip 6s was a doofus.

02-15-2002, 12:11 AM
You've got to love it when people complain about how someone's stupid play cost them the pot. I mean, you're not on this guy's side, are you? Ignore him.

I am in the habit of calling people down when they are showing a four flush and I have two pair. My general reasoning is that, if they have random hole cards, the odds are slightly against their having a flush (47% if you don't account for the upcards). Of course, people don't (usually) play random cards, but this is usually compensated for by the fact that the pot has gotten to a decent size. I mean, if I know my player, and he has to have the flush, I'll fold, but I do not routinely muck decent hands in such spots. In this case, you had information that your opponent couldn't know you had, and I think you used it effectively. I don't think that I would have found the raise at the table, but it was probably the right play. Nice hand.

02-15-2002, 07:50 AM
I think you should raise, but not for the reasons you gave. You should raise because the action and exposed cards says there's a better than 2:1 chance that you have the best hand, and when you have the best of it, you should be getting more money in the pot.

As for the K-high hand, if he had a made flush on 6th street, his fold was idiotic to an extreme. He has seen 9 hearts and should know that the chances of either of you having a flush are slim. Besides, it's just about never right to fold a flush on 6th and 7th (unless an opponent is showing open quads) because it's going to be the winner far more often than not, even when opponents have threatening boards.

TRLS

02-15-2002, 08:50 AM
I think it was a good play.

Pat

02-15-2002, 09:55 AM
How can he think the K-high hand is not a flush?

Could this player call on 5th street without

a made flush or a flush draw, unless he has trips, which is not especially likely. The K-high's suit has to be very live, since these guys have only hearts.

Dan Z.

02-15-2002, 03:26 PM
I liked your play, but I have to ask, what if the Ace high bet into you on the river (rather than making a very weak check), crying call?

02-16-2002, 04:16 AM
ROFL!

I am simply telling the legendary Rich "The Rock" P. to follow his own advice and DUMP THOSE RAGGEDY ACES!!!!

02-16-2002, 05:28 AM
Hello,BillyC,

Apparently,the player who folded his K high flush was not keeping track of the No. of hearts out.

He should have been jamming the hand!

Nice play,Bill! Sitting Bull

02-16-2002, 09:17 PM
I had two down, but there would have been 6 showing and, like I said three more were folded earlier. No, I cannot imagine he was keeping track. And to Scott, I expected Ace high to bet the river, I thought he would have to. I would have called.

02-17-2002, 06:38 PM
if you were raising hoping for the re-raise to dump the K-high then it's a smart raise. Even if the K isn't made yet you want him out.