PDA

View Full Version : Be aggressive, call down, or run away?

Cosimo
10-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Two pair vs three flush on the turn

I'm working on my aggression, but I also have a habit of calling decent hands down even when beat. Is this a place where I need to be aggressive, call down, or run away?

BB is a decent player who hasn't yet gotten too out of line; MP1 is weak-tight-bluffy-stupid-loose, but not too extreme on any of those.

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

milesdyson
10-23-2004, 12:46 AM
You have to call this down. On the turn and river, you can show down for no more than 2 BB (if you don't fill up). That's 2 BB to win 8 BB.

You have a decent chance of being ahead here anyway. He could the Ace of spades and an 8, 3, or 9. He could have a lower two pair and be pulling a stop and go. Or maybe he threw a bet out with something like QT on the flop and got the Q on the turn. There are many hands he could have.

pointcount
10-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I've also been concentrating on moving from weak-tight to tight-aggr.. in this situation I would be raising the turn and calling down to the 3-bet but I could be wrong..?

elbuddha
10-23-2004, 07:05 AM
First post, so this isn't giving advice - rather looking for feedback of my take on the situation.

I could call the turn and fold the river, thinking I'm behind. But if I think I'm behind then I don't have the odds for the turn call, and I would fold here.

But I think there's a decent chance I'm not behind. Aside from the scare card on the turn, villian has given me no hard evidence that he's ahead. So I want to see the river here, no running away.

Calling the turn gives villian no reason to not bet the river, so I have to assume he will. Still no hard evidence that I'm behind, I'm going to call that river bet as well. So calling down to showdown costs me 2 BB.

If I raise the turn, two things could happen:

Villian could re-raise: now there's some evidence that I'm behind. I could fold here (cost of 2), but now I've got the implied odds to call. If I improve on the river, I stand to make a mint. If not, I can check/fold knowing I've made a good laydown. Cost: 3

Villian could call: Still no hard evidence that I'm behind. If I improve on the river, I make a mint. If I don't improve on the river, check/call costs me 2 or 3.

Summary:
Cost of folding - forfeiture
Cost of calling down - 2
Cost of raising - 2 or 3

So I raise here. Or am I overplaying my hand?

Fiddler
10-23-2004, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If I raise the turn, two things could happen:

Villian could re-raise: now there's some evidence that I'm behind. I could fold here (cost of 2), but now I've got the implied odds to call. If I improve on the river, I stand to make a mint. If not, I can check/fold knowing I've made a good laydown. Cost: 3

Villian could call: Still no hard evidence that I'm behind. If I improve on the river, I make a mint. If I don't improve on the river, check/call costs me 2 or 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think raising is overplaying it. There are three to a flush on the board and if BB (or the other player) has a pair plus a decent spade kicker I think he'll often 3-bet. I would just go for a cheap showdown.

Cosimo
10-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I called this one down; he had spades.