PDA

View Full Version : $3-6 hand, pushing AK real hard

Michael Davis
10-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I think this is an interesting hand, and I like every decision I made here. Tell me why I am wrong.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 <font color="purple">(Confusing Fish)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 <font color="purple">(Confusing Fish)</font> calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Confusing Fish raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Confusing Fish bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Confusing Fish calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Confusing Fish checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.16 BB, between Confusing Fish and Hero.</font>

-Michael

chesspain
10-23-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I like every decision I made here. Tell me why I am wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can tell us instead why you liked coldcalling that flop with nothing more than tainted overcard outs.

Michael Davis
10-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I didn't want to threebet because I wanted to raise a non-heart turn. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Michael

Derek in NYC
10-23-2004, 12:56 AM
I like nothing about this play other than the preflop.

First, you call 2 cold on the flop with no pair and no backdoor draws. You literally have only overcards, and on a two-tone flop no less. With 6 outs (even assuming they are clean, which they are not since you cant like the hearts too much), you are a 7:1 dog to make the outs on the next card. The pot is paying only 5:1, so the call is EV negative, and that is assuming you are not three bet by the guy who led out. Finally, note that you are overcalling not only a bettor, but a raiser. Confusing fish or not, he must have something better than you.

On 4th street, you raise the aggressor, again with nothing except 6 outs (which may or may not be clean), and only 1 card to come. This time, however, you have succeeded in cutting your odds down to 4.5:1, on the same 7:1 dog draw. Another -EV move, and again, assuming you dont fear a reraise.

Having raised on the flop and fourth street, you now proceed to check the river after confusing fish shows weakness. At this point you have nothing. You can only beat a busted draw. If he has a pair and you check, you will lose. However, there is a slim possibility that in fact fish has only a busted draw, or perhaps something less than top pair that he will lay down, fearing an overpair. The pot at this point is paying you better than 12:1 to bluff, yet you do not. In order for this bluff to be EV positive, you need succeed on your bluff less than 10% of the time. Yet you check, thus essentially ceding the pot.

Accordingly, other than your preflop play which was fine, I think this hand was misplayed from start to finish.

DesertCat
10-23-2004, 12:57 AM
I might cold call the flop because after all you have AK, which means your outs are a little less tainted. But fold the turn, save yourself 2BB to fight another day with a better hand. If you have to bluff the turn, bluff the river...

Michael Davis
10-23-2004, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't have coldcalled the flop if I wasn't planning on raising the turn.

-Michael

Derek in NYC
10-23-2004, 01:07 AM
But this just reduces the odds you're getting even more.

Michael Davis
10-23-2004, 01:13 AM
What about the odds that my turn raise gets the pot heads up against a worse hand?

-Michael

Barry
10-23-2004, 01:16 AM
I think that only Mike I. could get away with this kind of flop and turn play at his 100/200 game. But of course he would have bet the river.

Derek in NYC
10-23-2004, 01:19 AM
How can you possibly think that confusing fish has a worse hand? He raised the flop, and led the turn? You are clearly WAY behind.

chesspain
10-23-2004, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the odds that my turn raise gets the pot heads up against a worse hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you assume based on that flop action that you will have a reasonable opportunity to go heads-up with a worse hand? Furthermore, I assume that by calling MP3 "Confusing Fish" you are saying that you don't really understand his play. However, since you didn't say he was LAG, I have to assume that he can read the board, and that at least one or both of those players are ahead of you right now.

pokerkai
10-23-2004, 01:28 AM
I think you can cold call the flop, although id like to be closer to closing the action. Pretty easy ditch on the turn with only tainted overcards left.

Michael Davis
10-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Yes, his play was very inconsistent. He was also down to around $30 of his initial $150 buy-in.

How often do I have to have the best hand here to make it right? Does that number change if Clarkmeister posts the hand?

-Michael

Michael Davis
10-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Tell him he should come look at the hand.

-Michael

Barry
10-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Problem is this is 3/6 not 100/200, you're not going to get confusing to lay down his hand with the checkraise. And since he bet the turn, he's probably not on a draw. Fold the flop and get on to the next hand.