PDA

View Full Version : KQo. Lots to argue about.

AdamL
10-22-2004, 10:34 PM
First, the limp. I want to make up for what I lose by raising preflop by raising the flop. I am in good position, and the table is aggressive. By raising the flop if I hit, I can better protect my hand. I think it's worth missing an SB for. (Not all the calls will benefit me preflop, since I only pair 1/3 of the time.)

Anyhow...The flop 3-bet was to get to a showdown if he's got a better hand without paying a turn bet. That worked out well here actually.

The river card was awful, but I'm not folding for one more bet especially after my turn move.

I expect a trashing for my unorthodox moves on all streets. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.66 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font>

Piiop
10-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Preflop limp is nothing to argue about. Limping with KQo or AJo after many limpers is fine because the pot is small enough to be able to push out draws and lower your reverse implied odds.

[ QUOTE ]
The flop 3-bet was to get to a showdown if he's got a better hand without paying a turn bet. That worked out well here actually

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think you don't have the best hand now? I would 3-bet the flop, but because I have the best hand, not to get a free showdown.

Bet the turn. It's headsup and you have top pair 2nd kicker. You have the best hand. Your opponent didn't cap the flop so you don't need to worry about a set yet and it's doubtful he would've checkraised with a flushdraw.

You have to call the river after you checked the turn.

MoreWineII
10-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Raise preflop and bet the turn, eh?

Brunger
10-22-2004, 10:53 PM
I don't mind the limp as I fequently do that myself. Obvious argument for the raise is you most likely have the best hand and have good position to take a free turn card. I love the flop three-bet and I probably bet the turn. It came down bad and that is life. I hate having to cry when clicking the call button but you have encouraged him to take a shot at you.

Alobar
10-22-2004, 11:59 PM
raise PF, dont let junk in behind you and give the blinds a free look. Its not like there are 5 or 6 limpers already in front of you, youve got 3. raise.

The flop 3 bet is good because you most likely have the best hand

The turn check is really bad IMO. You've got no reason to think he has a flush draw, and no reason to think you are behind. bet it!

river sucks, but you have to call it after your turn check

AdamL
10-23-2004, 12:05 AM
How often do I have the best hand here?

I've been running bad for over a month now, so I might be getting paranoid.

I know he's not raising with a weak queen -- most players are passive in this spot with that. Probably not a flush draw in that spot given that it was folded back to him.

Alobar
10-23-2004, 12:12 AM
so if you think he doesnt have a weak queen, or a flush draw, what does he have? your automatically going to put him on a set? If he had a better queen he raises pre flop. And I think puttinghim on a set is to extreme.

AdamL
10-23-2004, 12:39 AM
3-betting for most Party players is something done with the nuts or near nuts, in my limited experience.

It doesn't mean he has to have a set, but a set or an unusual two-pair imo is more likely than QT or QJ. T9 or JT of hearts is also possible.

sublime
10-23-2004, 01:00 AM
you do a lot of thinking about this preflop limp/raise issue (i raise, but whatever) but dont offer ANY player reads. stop worrying about the trivial stuff and start paying attention to what your opponents do, and more inportatnly why you DONT do what they do. your game will improve as a result of that.

EDIT: the turn check is awful

AdamL
10-23-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stop worrying about the trivial stuff and start paying attention to what your opponents do, and more inportatnly why you DONT do what they do. your game will improve as a result of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good advice man. Do you know I've spent 20 minutes just trying to figure out whether I was right to discount a weaker queen or not? I think you hit the nail on the head.

Alobar
10-23-2004, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3-betting for most Party players is something done with the nuts or near nuts, in my limited experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

he didnt 3 bet you, all he did was c/r you...there is a big diff

bernie
10-23-2004, 04:34 AM
I might play it the same way.

Preflop: this is around my cutoff for when i raise. 2 limpers i definitely raise.

Flop: fine.

Turn: The guy c/r'ed with something. Not sure what others are putting him on that he'd play this way. What? mid pair? I don't see that too often. Usually it's a strong hand. Like 2 pair. Not really a set, though i have seen people fastplaying a bit more with sets. I backburner that hand til the turn. If not, it can be a draw. Here the main draw hits. It's HU.

He could c/r a semi bluff here and blow you off your hand if you bet. Hard to call a c/r here.

Given no reads on the player, i'd likely check behind, planning on calling his river bet (induced if it is bluffed) so i can see his hand and what he plays the flop like that with.

b

Alobar
10-23-2004, 04:46 AM
You say hes not going to c/r middle pair, yet hes going to be crafty enough to c/r semi bluff you on the turn?

bernie
10-23-2004, 11:25 PM
I dont know the player. He may not be c/r semi bluffing the turn, he could easily be c/r value betting the turn. He may have 2 pair, but is afraid of the flush.

Sure, he could just have a weak top pair. I just don't see that as much. Some do though. If i find out after the hand he does it with that, then i'd be more inclined to bet the turn on him next time.

You could go for a bet on the turn, but you'll hate it if he c/r you. I don't know enough about this player or how he plays to risk that. You won't know what he's doing it with. Id rather find out his flop c/r standards for 1 bet, not 3. Because if he does c/r me, i will have to call down not knowing this player. How can you fold?

b