PDA

View Full Version : One of my worst beats yet

georgesimpson
10-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero (poster) checks, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (17 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has 8c 9d (full house, nines full of eights).
Hero has Qh Js (straight, queen high).
Outcome: BB wins 25 BB. </font>

tonight has shown me why I need 200BB to play. bad run of cards and a betting into things like this can zap your bankroll quick.

btspider
10-22-2004, 09:55 PM
this isn't much of a bad beat at all. the villian had some odds most of the way. the turn nuts are not always the nuts by showdown.

there are a lot of bad beat posts in the micros. sometimes its an indication that the person can't handle being drawn out on. this really shouldn't have even registered much of a blip on your radar. just say "damn that sucked" and move on.

Ajax410
10-22-2004, 09:56 PM
The fact is, he had a legit number of outs - it sucks that you lost, but there are definitly way worse beats that can be inflicted...you do need a bigger bankroll if a hand like this can put a dent in yours.

ncboiler
10-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Not to mention you shouldn't even be in the hand. Why post?? Wait for the blind.

ccartman2
10-22-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree, this isn't a bad beat. It definately sucked. I don't understand posting from UTG+2. It's unlikely you continue to get hands that you can play from this position when posting and you'd only have to wait 3 hands to post on the big blind. Considering I'm fairly new around here, I just wondering the benefits of posting here and not knocking your play.

georgesimpson
10-22-2004, 10:36 PM
why shouldn't i be in the hand from preflop?
costs me 1 sb when there are already 10 in the pot and i have JQo (granted it can be dominated but i'm prepared to fold immediately on the flop).

JoshuaD
10-22-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention you shouldn't even be in the hand. Why post?? Wait for the blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting from the CO is worth it, IMO. You pay 1.5 SB's for 10 hands, why not pay 1 for 7?

ncboiler
10-22-2004, 11:28 PM
[/ QUOTE ]
Posting from the CO is worth it, IMO. You pay 1.5 SB's for 10 hands, why not pay 1 for 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't in the cut off. And there have been many threads detailing why posting from any position is not a good play.

busguy
10-22-2004, 11:55 PM
He wasn't in the cut-off so he is going to pay 2.5 sb/s for 10 hands.

You wait for the blinds or the button to post to get the most amount of hands for the smallest outlay. As well, there are MANY more marginal hands that you can play from the blinds or a late position when you post in, that you would muck in a MP/EP spot.

This hand isn't even close to a bad beat. You've had a pretty good introducton period to on-line poker if this is your worst beat so far.

If you want to learn something from this hand, think about how you could have played it differently. How would things have played out if you raised on the flop. With a bet coming from your immediate right you could have probably cleaned up some of your overcard outs as well as gotten the villian to fold his middle pair facing a 2 bet cold call.

my 2 cents

/images/graemlins/smile.gif busguy

HajiShirazu
10-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Post in the CO or wait. I like posting in the CO actually. I'd rather put my forced bet in with good position.
And raise the flop. Not doing so in a big pot is really bad. In fact it may have cost you this pot, although the guy probably wouldn't have folded. And bad beat posts are crap.

chesspain
10-23-2004, 12:41 AM
1. This wasn't a bad beat.
2. Even if it was no one wants to read about it.
3. Your river three-bet was horrible.

kiemo
10-23-2004, 12:47 AM
next time wait 2 more hands to play and you wont have to worry about playing QJo from early position.