PDA

View Full Version : M's fan discuss this:

ThaSaltCracka
10-22-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From the ownership to the general manager, all the way down, are people that are dedicated to bringing a winner here," Hargrove said. "I'm not sure that's the case everywhere else."

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I don't think Hargrove knows what he is getting into.

nolanfan34
10-22-2004, 07:12 PM
He knows what he's getting into. They claim they're going to open the wallets, and I'm starting to believe them.

ThaSaltCracka
10-22-2004, 07:14 PM
I really hope so, that M's blog you pointed me torward had an interesting article about how little a % the M's spend of their revenue on payroll. 21st out of 30 teams /images/graemlins/confused.gif, but 2nd or 3rd overall in revenue /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

sam h
10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
The owners have traditionally not been willing to pony up to make that mid-season trade that would put them over the top.

But I think there are three things going for the theory that this might change soon:

1) M's are in danger of losing the fan base they built up if they don't turn things around and/or acquire guys to replace departing popular players like Edgar.

2) They actually have a lot of good young pitchers, and so a quick rebuilding is feasible right now rather than needing to look towards 2007 or something.

3) The As are in decline.

I think the Ms should show some balls and go after Beltran. He would be a great player in that park and, even if you pay through the nose to get him, you know you are acquiring him in his prime and you don't run the risk of getting a guy who is likely to fall off precipitously anytime soon.

ThaSaltCracka
10-22-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) M's are in danger of losing the fan base they built up if they don't turn things around and/or acquire guys to replace departing popular players like Edgar

[/ QUOTE ] They had over 2.5 million fans in attendance this year, but I agree, most of those were during big series against NY and Boston, as well as early in the season and very late. Many fairweather(after 1995) fans are starting to loose interest, so they have to do something

[ QUOTE ]
2) They actually have a lot of good young pitchers, and so a quick rebuilding is feasible right now rather than needing to look towards 2007 or something.

[/ QUOTE ] I have been impressed by Madritsch, but thats about it. I fully expect Piniero and Meche to have better years next year as well. Frank the Tank should be gone, hopefully.

[ QUOTE ]
3) The As are in decline.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not sure if I buy this yet, but sooner or later some of there pitchers will leave. Their offense does not impress me at all though.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Ms should show some balls and go after Beltran.

[/ QUOTE ] They better go after someone whose name starts with B, either Beltran or Beltre. I am leaning more torwards Beltre because Jeremy Reed impressed me and he is cheap, Beltran would probably break the M's bank.

nolanfan34
10-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Below is the letter that Howard Lincoln sent out to season ticket holders at the end of the season. I can't fathom they won't make some signings after what he says in here, unless they REALLY want to piss off the fan base.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Season Ticket Holder,

Like you and other Seattle Mariners’ season ticket holders, I’m terribly disappointed with our team’s performance this season. My expectations for this season were very high coming out of spring training. So were the expectations of our ownership group, our front office executives, our players, our field manager and our coaches. We all expected to be in the middle of a battle for the American League Western Division title during the last month or so of the season. Instead, we were never in the race this year. That is simply not acceptable.

I appreciate all the support you’ve given this team, both this season and in seasons past. Safeco Field remains a special place to see the excitement of Major League Baseball, and the crowds continue to be loud and appreciative for the home team, including rookies who are getting their first chance to play at the Major League level. I know that you continue to care about your team. I recognize and appreciate your enthusiastic support. I certainly don’t take it for granted.

Your loyalty to the Mariners is what fuels this franchise. I know that being a season ticket holder is not an inexpensive proposition! In asking for your patience and continued support, I also know that you expect that changes will be made as quickly as possible to turn this team around. That is precisely what we are now in the process of doing. That process will continue through the coming off-season.

In late June, after it became apparent that we were too far behind, we made the decision to turn our attention to the future. We needed to turn the page and focus on building a team that can reach this organization’s ultimate goal – a World Series Championship.

To achieve that goal, we need to be back in contention as soon as possible, and hopefully next year. While some teams in our situation decide to pursue long-term rebuilding programs, that is not our plan. We plan to assemble a team that will be back in the race sooner, rather than later. We know it won’t be easy. There are no guarantees in baseball. But that’s our plan.

General Manager Bill Bavasi’s first step was to make several mid-season moves to acquire some top young position players and to call up some of the best players from our farm system. We have been able to evaluate young players like Miguel Olivo, Justin Leone, Travis Blackley, Bucky Jacobsen, Bobby Madritsch, George Sherrill, Jose Lopez, Matt Thornton, Clint Nageotte and others against Major League competition. It is important to determine now who will fit into our plans in 2005, and who needs more time to develop. And it has given our rookie players a chance to better understand what it takes to be successful at the Major League level.

Letter from Howard Lincoln
August 30, 2004 – Page 2 of 2

The next step will be off-season moves – trades and free agent signings. Bill will have the financial resources and flexibility to pursue key players via free agency and trades, to quickly return the Mariners to the quality of play you want and expect. Although we’ve been asked by several season ticket holders about our interest in specific free agents, because of Major League Baseball’s tampering rules, we are not able to identify the names of potential free agents that we may be interested in signing. In addition, we don’t want the other 29 teams to know our plans.

I understand that when making promises to season ticket holders, actions speak louder than words. I also recognize that we need to learn from our mistakes. I’ve made my share! The challenge ahead is exciting. I accept it with enthusiasm and confidence, and together with Chuck Armstrong, Bill Bavasi and our entire front office, we’re ready to go to work to field a team you will be proud of.

Over the past several months, I’ve heard from many of our season ticket holders. Chuck Armstrong and I have met with small groups of fans to talk about the Mariners. We plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. We have also received a number of email messages from our fans. The thoughts, feelings and comments of these fans about Mariners Baseball have been extremely helpful as we plan for the future.

Off the field of play, we remain committed to providing outstanding family entertainment and guest service at Safeco Field. Through Mariners Care, the Mariners charitable foundation, we will continue to do our part to make this community a better place to live. In our meetings with fans, they have reinforced that these aspects of Mariners Baseball are highly valued and appreciated. So, as we work to improve the team, we will also continue to improve the fan experience at the ballpark and our community service programs.

On August 9th, Edgar Martinez announced that he would retire at the end of the 2004 season. Edgar is a true gentleman, one of the classiest people I’ve ever met. I hope to be in Cooperstown, N.Y., someday soon, to watch as he is inducted into baseball’s Hall of Fame. I hope you will be in your seats at Safeco Field on October 2nd, Edgar Martinez Day, when the Mariners honor Edgar in a post-game ceremony to celebrate his career and what he has meant to Mariners Baseball and to the people of this community.

Once again, thank you for being a Seattle Mariners fan.

Sincerely,

Howard Lincoln
Chairman and CEO

ThaSaltCracka
10-22-2004, 07:54 PM
I really hope so, I wonder who they may be looking at.

Toro
10-22-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet they could get Arod back from the Yanks at a pretty good discount. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet they could get Arod back from the Yanks at a pretty good discount. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] NO!!!

Toro
10-23-2004, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] NO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Every team that he leaves gets better so then the Yankees could win the WS next year and then at least one of your teams would win it. I love bashing the pretty boy.

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 06:44 PM
if I had to choose between the M's getting better and the yankees getting better, I would take the M's.

goofball
10-23-2004, 06:51 PM
god. beltran would be an outstanding addition. Winn could move to left and Ibanez could start setting pins in a bowling alley

the really need to fill the hole at short too. and they don't need to fill it with arod.

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Ibanez would likely go to 1st or DH. That is atleast if they don't sign someone like Delgado. Ibanez is actually a good player, unfortunately he had an injury last year so he missed like 20-30 games.

goofball
10-23-2004, 07:08 PM
we have spiezio at first and bucky at DH

ThaSaltCracka
10-23-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we have spiezio at first and bucky at DH

[/ QUOTE ]
spiezio is nothing more than a crappy utility player. If he starts at all next year I won't go to any games because he is so [censored] worthless. As for Bucky, yeah he had a nice run up here, but I am very leary of 28 year old first time DH's. He may very well be in his prime right now. I like the kid, but lets be honest, he is not in the future of this team, neither is Leone, or Bocachica, or J. Cabrera.

Toro
10-23-2004, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I had to choose between the M's getting better and the yankees getting better, I would take the M's.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the M's are No. 1 and the Yankees 1A? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I just find it ironic that a team with a weatherproof stadium will have "The Human Rain Delay" for a manager.

Toro
10-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Salty's too young, he'll never get that one!