PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed...$10,000 Pacific poker UK open

nutfloppa
10-22-2004, 03:50 PM
I won a seat into the Pacific poker UK open. The tournament has a unique structure, basically a series of 3 SNG. Buy in of $10,000 and limited to 108 players. In the first round, 108 players will play at eighteen tables, each comprised of six players. The winner of each table will win $10,000 and advance to the semi-finals. In the Semi-Finals, eighteen players will play at three tables, each comprised of six players. The top two players from each table will advance to the Final, and carry their chip count with them to the Final. The remaining $900,000 will be paid out to the final table. Each player in the preliminary tables and Semi-Finals will start with $100,000 in chips. Each level of play will last for 30 minutes, and the Blinds will be implemented on the following basis:

1st Level $1,000 / $2,000
2nd Level $2,000 / $4,000
3rd Level $3,000 / $6,000
4th Level $5,000 / $10,000
5th Level $7,000 / $15,000
6th Level $10,000 / $20,000
7th Level $15,000 / $30,000
8th Level $20,000 / $40,000

I dont have much experience in SNG's so I am hoping some of you can give me some tips. How tight/loose should I play with the blinds going up every 30 minutes? Do I try and avoid coin flips since only one player advances? With only six players at the table do I have to adjust my play because of this?

Any advise or thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

lorinda
10-22-2004, 04:02 PM
The first question you need to answer is 'How good am I compared to the field'.

If the answer is 'below average' then coin flips become a desireable proposition.

If the answer is 'Im the best player on the table' then you should avoid them as long as possible.

Your honest answer to yourself on this can significantly alter your chances of winning.

Lori

byronkincaid
10-22-2004, 05:48 PM
This is a Barry Hearn promotion like the PP Euro Open I played in. I posted almost exactly the same questions as you acouple of weeks ago. Best advice I had was Pro's not that much better than us. With 6 player sng format luck plays a huge part. None of the top pros made it through the heats. If you live in UK watch channel 5 tonight.

All the pros started out aggresively making moves. I played tight to start then pretty much started going all in or nothing. It worked for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif. If you get to top two in your heat consider chopping the 10k.

I had a great time, I wish you the best of luck. Please come back and give us a trip report. If you search my recent posts you may find more info. If you get choice of a check or prize money transfer into your bank, take check.

lorinda
10-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I've watched some of these.

Is your heat tonight? (I'm not actually a big fan of most TV poker, but it tends to be on in the background and I'll pay extra attention if you're on)

Lori

byronkincaid
10-22-2004, 06:07 PM
My heat was on monday which i won to get into tonights final. My GF says I look like some idiot going to a fancy dress party as a Blues Brother /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Nice to know that you'll be watching. Perhaps you can give me some advice on how to play KK /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Justin

nutfloppa
10-23-2004, 01:29 AM
How long did your table last? Was it 30 minute levels? At what level did you start moving in?

byronkincaid
10-23-2004, 06:01 AM
4 hours, yes, when i was down to 30k chips.

Phill S
10-23-2004, 08:09 AM
respect where due. nice job byron.

channel 5 ehh, now all i need is a TV and i could watch you...

to think im missing more on TV over the last few weeks than friends repeats and the news (actually, i like a dose of the news now and again).

Phill

Stoneii
10-23-2004, 09:46 AM
You should maybe play a few 6 seater SnG's just to get the feel for them. Given , it's winner take all and there's nothing for 'limping' into the money, it may well be that you have to take more coin flips as watching 1 stack become mountainous is to your disadvantage. Push all/any of your marginal edges I'd say but that is just my opinion and I've certainly never played for such stakes.

Best of luck

stoneii

nutfloppa
10-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your responses Byron. I will post a trip report when I get back. Anyone else have anything to add?

lorinda
10-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Depending on the way the hole cameras work, you can look for tells of people not putting the cards properly on the camera to your left.

They're probably folding.

Lori

nutfloppa
10-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I am heading to London tonight. Anyone else have anything to add?