PDA

View Full Version : Making your (sb and bb) checks look like Check-Raises

captZEEbo1
10-22-2004, 03:26 PM
early on in the sng, if you have no pair and no draw, and you completed in sb and bb, and you can sense someone is gonna bet the flop (like an A on board), you can just fold before anyone bets. This does a few things:
(1) it's super funny to watch people fold before they have to.
(2) if you're able to do it enough times, people might respect a check on sb, and bb, and won't bluff you a LITTLE later in the sng, because they figured you'd just fold as you always do.

But mostly, it's just funny. One time I was able to do it like 6 times in early rounds and got someone to comment "you know you can check capt!". So slightly later in the sng, when I checked, he wouldn't bet at me (without a hand). The funniest is when you're on bb and sb folded, and there was only 1 limper on the button. You're first to act and just fold to him, thus giving him the whole pot, lol. I mean, who cares if he gets like 75 chips when he was just gonna min bet the flop and you were gonna fold anyways =)

leykis
10-22-2004, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The funniest is when you're on bb and sb folded, and there was only 1 limper on the button. You're first to act and just fold to him, thus giving him the whole pot, lol. I mean, who cares if he gets like 75 chips when he was just gonna min bet the flop and you were gonna fold anyways =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its actually not really that funny. Let me give you an example. Last night Button limped small blind folded and I had 35o in the BB. I flopped the straight. Button had 77 and thought he had the overpair. He hit is set on the river and I took his entire stack. So in retrospect I'm pretty glad I didnt fold the BB.

ilya
10-22-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The funniest is when you're on bb and sb folded, and there was only 1 limper on the button. You're first to act and just fold to him, thus giving him the whole pot, lol. I mean, who cares if he gets like 75 chips when he was just gonna min bet the flop and you were gonna fold anyways =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its actually not really that funny. Let me give you an example. Last night Button limped small blind folded and I had 35o in the BB. I flopped the straight. Button had 77 and thought he had the overpair. He hit is set on the river and I took his entire stack. So in retrospect I'm pretty glad I didnt fold the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's talking only about those times when you flop a big nothing.

leykis
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Oops I stand corrected. But I still dont think that there is any +EV about folding a pot that has not been bet. If someone did that to me I would probably think they are a total newb. and I would not think that they are check raising when they actually check. I would think that they must have figured out what check means.

poboy
10-22-2004, 05:48 PM
That would be almost be ok if you were 100% sure your opponent would bet. The problem is there are too many times your opponent won't bet and you'll pick up something on the turn and/or river. Outside of making your opponents think you are a newb I can't really see any value to this play.

stupidsucker
10-22-2004, 09:37 PM
There are lots of flops you can fold the BBor SB too and not worry to much about miracle runner runners and no one betting.

Even those few hands you do win by checking to the river you normally dotn win much.

I honestly dont know if its plus EV to do this though. When you do want to checkraise you might not get the chance.